Menu

2nd year homeschooling and need encouragement

Guest alehman

Guest alehman

HI Every1!

This is my second year of official HS. My boys are 2, 4 and 6.

I am currently working in a teaching job share position in an Elem school. I decided to HS my oldest because I felt that it was necessary. The kinder curriculum would of been too easy for him . I did not want him to be bored and get in "trouble" for being off task.

Although I believe in what I am doing I cannot get the Ca state standards out of mind! I understand they are a guide post to where kids should be at a particular grade level. Since I have been teaching for 15 yrs they are so ingrained in me. I have taken a big step in choosing Story of the World as opposed to a textbook. I am now scared that my son will not get all the standards he needs for his level....does this make sense?

My goal for him is to be well rounded, love learning, get 1 on 1 attention and attend college. I want him to have a diff learning experience that most kids I teach. I want him to learn for the love of learning not to take the Ca test at the end of the school year.

I am in need of encouragement. I want to know that he will be okay learning at home with me. I also have him in a learning center where he goes 2 days a week.

Please HELP!! thanks so much :):001_smile:

What standards are they? Do you think their reasonable? It is not all bad to have some guide lines. I just wouldn't make them laws. Maybe you should make some specifcic goals that you would like your child to learn this year (i.e. his phonics sounds) Take what you like from what you have learned and apply it. If you are concerned with Story of The World not focusing on America enough take some time to do a mini unit study on the other things you want him to learn.

You will be reassured after you get the test results of a standardized test at the end of the year. He'll do very well. You could keep the basic standards of the 3 Rs but which history or science he learns which year won't matter.

:iagree:

Our first year I was so worried that we keep track with the public school. Second year I threw caution to the wind and we learned about whatever my son was interested in (for science and history).

We did the IOWA test at the end of the year and he passed with flying colors.

Most importantly, my son loves loves school!

Although I believe in what I am doing I cannot get the Ca state standards out of mind! I understand they are a guide post to where kids should be at a particular grade level. Since I have been teaching for 15 yrs they are so ingrained in me. I have taken a big step in choosing Story of the World as opposed to a textbook. I am now scared that my son will not get all the standards he needs for his level....does this make sense?

I suppose in any one year, he may not meet all the standards in his level that year, but that's OK, because if you consistently teach him skills and give him lots of varied reading every year, he will eventually even out and then surpass the standards at some later year.

In our home we are concerned about academics and scoring well but we also want to instill a love of learning. We do not teach to the test (CO) nor do we worry about state standards but our oldest ( who has taken more tests than the twins) has done very well and has by far surpassed any state or national standards. The twins are doing very well and surpassed the standards (except for one incident involving just filling in the blanks on the standardized test) as well.

We have found that our children thrive in the classical environment and that they are being well prepared academically.

Alehman...

You just listed it!! In everything you want for your child, you ARE doing!! THROW out your last 15 years..I mean it throw it OUT!! I think homeschooling is hardest for those who have been "taught" how to teach..did anyone teach you how to show your child a tender embrace? Did anyone teach you what each of their cries meant? Who sat down and gave you a course on showing a child how to walk??

I only ask those things to remind you that YOU have brought your children up to the point they're at..have they not been learning these past years?? It is natural for children to learn...I believe each child has special gifts and interests...let these be a natural launching pad for you...with my son at 6 years of age it was dinosaurs...our 'schoolroom' was plastered with practically every species of dinosaurs known to date....we had flags on our world map showing where they had been found..we had fun making up our own colors for the beasts....who says a T. Rex can't be purple, green and red?? As long as you give them resources to investigate/explore/imagine...then let some of their natural curiosity lead them...read, read, read, read as much and as often as you can...stick to fun picture stories right now that your younger ones will be drawn to...then slowly start adding in the chapter books...(My Father's Dragon by Ruth Giles Stannet would be excellent!!)..bring the pictures alive with your voice and your eyes!! Make it a moment in their life....reading to them is a picnic in the park on a sunny day kind of happening!!

History, loads of library books stacked up at your house so there's never a shortage of something to thumb through! Art supplies...crayons/pencils/chalk/...shapes/string/marbles/building blocks....just let them engage their natural skills at this age...do not force a classroom on your children at this age...they will have that in college!! :) Let them enjoy this time with you and believe me they will want to try new things....I loved working with them on drawing scenes of adventures in their head...narrating what could have happened in this picture...the possibilities are only limited by your willingness to create! :)

I was in your shoes 8 years ago..struggling to make sure I covered all the bases....oh, how amazing our kids are on their own!! I added in Minimus Latin at age 7 for my son and even though my girls were 4 & 3..they still picked up words for animals (porcus, vespa, taurus..etc.) we had FUN!!

You will find a balance...if you're inclined to your faith..rely on it to show you the people/curricula you need when you need it...I will stress about a writing program and then BAM...I meet 5 families who mention the same one!! I have given up worrying about the future, even high school! So many helpful ladies here to guide you!! :)

Tara

I have taken a big step in choosing Story of the World as opposed to a textbook. I am now scared that my son will not get all the standards he needs for his level....does this make sense?

I am in need of encouragement. I want to know that he will be okay learning at home with me.

He will be more than Okay learning at home with you.

To assuage my jitters about people being shocked he didn't know who Abe Lincoln was, I have gotten several of the level 3 Step Into Learning books about historical figures ("Eat My Dust, Henry Ford" or something like that, etc). I also point out things, like MLK Blvd or FDR Drive, etc.

:grouphug:

You'll be fine. If I can do it, you can do it.

The schools go in one particular order. It's helpful, in case kids move from school to school, or to help make sure students are proceeding along at a good pace. But that doesn't mean it's the only order you can teach kids in. :D

I mean, if the other 1st graders are learning american history, but you start with the ancients... it's okay! It's not as if you don't plan on ever teaching your kids about american history, you're just going in a different order. That's part of the beauty of homeschooling. :)

I'll give a practical solution for you.

Test your child at the end of first grade with whatever standardized test you like. Take the results and find the weaknesses in your teaching and fill them.

My goal is to meet state standards *and* provide a classical education. It doesn't have to be one or the other. My kids (12, 10, 6, and non-testers 4, and 1) test beautifully and have been on the neo-classical ed route since kindergarten.

I found when I tested my eldest way back after first grade that she needed more work with maps and reference materials so I mended that by throwing in a workbook or two that focused on these skills. I attributed this gap to lack of focus on "social studies" in favor of world history. And, she still tested well above average in this area, but it was a relative weakness and something easy to remedy.

After you get back wonderful test scores, you can think about how much more your child knows that wasn't even on the test. It's a great feeling.