Menu

Anyone done Biology with an 8th grader?

My daughter really wants to do Biology this year even though we are technically not supposed to start it until next year. Has anyone ever done Bio early? If so, what did your progression of courses look like and what did you use?

My daughter originally wanted to do Chemistry but I told her I think she should wait until she is finished with Algebra (was that correct?) She seems to be really into Forensics right now (she watches CSI).

I'd recommend Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life. It's a 9th grade "intro bio" text, more in-depth than the typical 7th grade Life Sciences book, but still very accessible. You can find it used online quite easily. There is also a lab workbook and a CD-rom of acitivities (PC only, XP or earlier; does not work on Vista).

Has your DD already done middle school Physical Science (combined Chem/Physics)? If not, I would highly recommend she go through the Chemistry section of a Physical Science text, or something similar, before tackling Biology.

She could add in some forensic labs, like Crime Scene Investigations: Real Life Science Labs for Grades 6-12:

http://www.amazon.com/Crime-Scene-Investigations-Real-Life-Science/dp/0787966304/ref=pd_cp_b_1

Jackie

ETA: I'm currently using Exploring Life with an advanced 6th grader. I plan to do Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry next year, followed by Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. Then in 9th we'll do AP Bio, 10th will be AP Chem, then CC for Physics.

I'd recommend Campbell's Biology: Exploring Life. It's a 9th grade "intro bio" text, more in-depth than the typical 7th grade Life Sciences book, but still very accessible. You can find it used online quite easily. There is also a lab workbook and a CD-rom of acitivities (PC only, XP or earlier; does not work on Vista).

Has your DD already done middle school Physical Science (combined Chem/Physics)? If not, I would highly recommend she go through the Chemistry section of a Physical Science text, or something similar, before tackling Biology.

She could add in some forensic labs, like Crime Scene Investigations: Real Life Science Labs for Grades 6-12:

http://www.amazon.com/Crime-Scene-Investigations-Real-Life-Science/dp/0787966304/ref=pd_cp_b_1

Jackie

ETA: I'm currently using Exploring Life with an advanced 6th grader. I plan to do Suchocki's Conceptual Chemistry next year, followed by Hewitt's Conceptual Physics. Then in 9th we'll do AP Bio, 10th will be AP Chem, then CC for Physics.

Thank you so much!! This is perfect!!!!:)

before deciding on Campbell's Exploring Life:glare: - not too easy and not too hard either. So yes, you can start the high school courses early for your science oriented kid. I also bought the lab manual - not that great - too many experiements to weed thru if you ask me - just give me the good ones! We also have the online access (I had to call to get that) so he takes his chapter assessments online.

My ds 8th grade also begged to start biology this year. He is so excited to disect and conduct all kinds of experiments. We started Apologia's Biology and found it to be a little to intense for my science loving son (the reading and definitions bogged him down for someone who just wanted to jump in). So I researched and figured out physical science is a combo of chemistry and physics with a little biology thrown in for good measure!

So if you go the physical science route I highly recommend Science Explorers Physical Science by Prentice Hall. If you purchase the Student Express CD they have their student textbook online with a lot of interactive things such as videos, animations, games/mini-labs and all of the worksheets. Chapter quizzes are online as well. They have a lab zone cd that has all of the labs for the whole series (life, earth, and physical sciences). I have found that so far only a few of the labs work with individual homeschool students so I purchased Thames & Kosmos Elements of Science Experiment Kit. I bought the physical science teacher's manual so I could look up the answers to his worksheets no matter where I am without having to go to the computer.

If you don't want to figure it all out on your own Amy known as MamaSheep has created Awakening Wonder which is a study guide using PH Physical Science as a spine with some other fabulous books and the Thames & Kosmos Kit along with a weekly schedule, and all of the notebook, charts, etc. you could possibly want.

Also like someone else suggested I plan on adding in some forensic science for fun!

before deciding on Campbell's Exploring Life:glare: - not too easy and not too hard either. So yes, you can start the high school courses early for your science oriented kid. I also bought the lab manual - not that great - too many experiements to weed thru if you ask me - just give me the good ones! We also have the online access (I had to call to get that) so he takes his chapter assessments online.

The labs are tied to the chapters; each one illustrates and reinforces the specific concepts taught in that chapter. They provide 2 lab options for each chapter: one that uses the kind of equipment and chemicals you would find in a well-equipped school lab, and an alternate that uses simpler and more basic materials. So you really don't have to "weed through" 72 labs and pick some, you just look at the 2 labs suggested for each chapter and choose the one that works best for your situation.

Jackie

We've done biology with 2 of our dc so far in 8th garde. Sequence for ds1 was as follows:

8th -- biology, Apologia with outside class and lab

9th -- chemistry, Apologia with outside class and lab

10th -- AP bio, with outside class

11th -- honors Physics through Florida Virtual School

12th -- chemstryI and II at our local university

Ds 2 is following that sequence so far.

HTH,

Lisa

The labs are tied to the chapters; each one illustrates and reinforces the specific concepts taught in that chapter. They provide 2 lab options for each chapter: one that uses the kind of equipment and chemicals you would find in a well-equipped school lab, and an alternate that uses simpler and more basic materials. So you really don't have to "weed through" 72 labs and pick some, you just look at the 2 labs suggested for each chapter and choose the one that works best for your situation.

Jackie

I couldn't figure out why there were so many! Thanks.