Menu

Anyone teach Grammar 1st Semester and Writing 2nd Semester? (7th grade)

Ann in SC

We are doing this. I am using Abeka Grammar/Comp I with my 7th grader. I don't use the curriculum guide so have no idea how THEY intend it to be done....but in her student text the grammar portion is unit 1 and the comp portion is unit 2.

I will use it just like that...we'll do grammar for semester 1 and then composition for semester 2. ;)

Hello,

I would like to focus just on one at a time. Is there something out there for 7th grade that does this? We are currently doing Rod and Staff 7th and Writing Strands 4.

Ann in SC

Well, of course, you are adding writing to R&S, which has plenty of writing already; it's a full-year course all by itself.

Unless you do two separate things (i.e., Easy Grammar Plus, or the Steward English Program for grammar only, then Writing Strands for writing) I don't know how it would work.

Publishers such as BJUP figure grammar/comp as 1 semester, literature as another (either done separately or alternately).

Personally, I wouldn't for a couple of reasons. I think it takes continuous cumulative practice to progressively improve writing skills. I also see grammar as a functioning within writing and writing being a product of grammar. To separate the the 2 seems to make an artificial distinction between them.

Even though most textbooks are divided into distinct sections, they are meant to be taught simultaneously. That way you can discuss implementing the grammar concepts into writing. If you wait an entire semester, the "freshness" of the grammar concept link to writing implementation will be lost.

Just my $1 worth. ;)