Menu

Tell me about R&S English 2

I'm looking into trying this for our upcoming school year along with the spelling too.

Tell me what you like or dislike about it.

Is the TM easy to follow, does it tell you how to teach the new concepts to your child.

I see alot of good reviews about R&S and it's so affordable.

Thanks!

We love R&S English 2! We don't use the spelling - so no help there. The TM is incredibly easy and my dd is picking up the material. She is a young 2nd grader so I was worried but R&S does such a good job that it has been easy. They actually cover quite a bit of material but the approach is so gentle it's not overwhelming. HTH!!

R&S has been great for us. We began homeschooling this year and we are using R&S Grammar for 2, 5 and 8. The kiddos like the text, sometimes because they find it comforting and sometimes because they find it funny. They understand the concepts and enjoy the format.

When the practice given is too much, I just have them do more orally or we only do half (odds/evens).

The teacher's manual is super helpful. A picture of the student text and info about teaching ideas and areas to focus along with the answers.

Used it last year, switched from FLL. I am using it this year, as well as the 3rd grade as well, for the child who did half of 2nd grade R&S last year. I love it. It has just waht I need without lots of extra stuff. My 3rd grader started diagramming last week and I LOVE it!

My 2nd grader is currently doing their spelling. It's a good program. The words a easy for him (which is good, he needs the confidence boost!), and the lessons are interesting. I think he will learn a lot from it. The English is good. I have it, but we're not using it this year. I did use it with my oldest son. We did all of the lessons orally. It was a good, yet gentle, introduction to English (grammar and writing). The 3rd grade is good, and you can start with that. I have a lot of kids, so we're skipping English 2 to save me time.

Honestly, the only thing I use the tm for is easy grading. This is all the way up. I teach right out of the student book. So far I've "taught" level 2-9. The text is so well written that once my kids hit level 4, they teach themselves. (I'm ok with this since the text is written so that it can be used this way.) And they have been doing well. I'll catch anything once I grade their papers, but so far the only thing missed is diagramming the helping verbs as part of the verb phrase for my youngest.

Same with spelling. I love R&S spelling! My 9th grader has switched to Wordly Wise 3000 for the SAT prep aspect. Even my poor speller does well in R&S. (She's 7th grade this year.)

We are using R&S2 English with Spelling Power. I believe that R&S is thorough, though the assignments each day can be lengthy because of all the writing required. Most days we orally complete 2 exercises and only write out one. (Our HOD curriculum offers plenty of opportunity for writing, so I am not concerned about this.) Another plus, imo, is the great thoughts about who God is woven throughout the exercises. :001_smile:

I really enjoy Spelling Power because of how concisely it works. It's quick and with the added creative activities each day, my daughter is retaining and enjoying the program!

Hope you find just the right fit for you!

As an earlier poster mentioned, you really can skip this book (English) and start with book 3 in third grade. That being said, if you decide to do book 2, do most of is orally, mark directly in the book or get a transparency and use an expo marker otherwise there's just too much writing for young students. The material is excellent, and I'm sold on R&S grammar. (My oldest two did books 3-8 and dropped grammar for high school. DD graduated with honors from college this year with a degree in English.)

I've not used the spelling, though I've heard good things about it.

So far so good this year with R&S 2 and 6. We are also using R&S Spelling 2 and 6. They like the fact that we do alot orally and they only do minimal themselves. The TM gives good hints and helps when I think they don't get it.... They also like that the lessons are not extremely long (although they could be if they did it all on paper). I am glad we made the switch and are looking forward to a good year!