Menu

Moody Science Videos

Are they worth the money?
Well, if you consider paying for something to sit on your shelf for 5 years collecting dust worth the money then yes, they're worth it. :glare: I subjected my dc to 2 of these videos a few years back and the look on their faces can only be described as painful. I actually plan to try one more time this weekend (maybe a few years will make a difference) and if the suffering is still there, I'm selling them. I bought them because they were a "must have" according to someone whom I've sinced learned to ignore. ;)

Well, they are definitely dated...think "Wild Kingdom"....and they are not flashy so you won't have 5 second bites of info and lots of busy (distracting, in my opinion) stuff going on to try and entertain the kids.

However, we own the set and while my kids do not beg me to watch them, we always, always, always are blown away by the information in them. The one about the bees is absolutely fascinating. My kids wanted my dad to watch it when he was visiting and he actually got teary-eyed because it shows so powerfully that God made His creation very purposefully and so specialized that it could only come from the hand of a Creator. It really is something. Also, the one about the human blood cell is equally fascinating. As well as the one about the motorcycle race through the desert and the electricity one with an electric eel in it.

The subjects are wide and varied but they all highlight unique and ingenius designs which point directly to the Creator. At the end of each one, the host has a little Bible discussion (maybe 5 minutes) to bring it all back to the point: that all creation points to God. They're relatively short, too. I think 30 minutes or so.

My thoughts are: if you can get past the early 60's-70's/sedate/non-flashy presentation, the material is timeless and shows clearly that only a Creator God could have made this world

Thank you for the review! My kids don't really need super "flashy" videos...the only channel we get here at home is PBS :lol:. I was mainly looking for informative science videos from a creationist perspective. We have Netflix, but I am always worried about the worldview of some of the science videos they offer. This sounds like it would be perfect for us.

So, does anyone know of any more "updated" Christian science DVDs? I saw that Answers in Genesis has some DVDs available. Does anyone have any experience with those?

One more vote for them. We don't watch them over & over or anything. But each one treats kids as if they have an attention span. They cover the science topic in more depth than, say, Bill Nye. And at the end, the scientist comes on screen to "talk" with the kids about how this applies to their faith. For instance, we watched the one about sounds animals make under water, which no one believed existed until a certain sonar or something was invented. The scientist said that sometimes we don't believe something exists if we can't hear it or see it, but that doesn't mean iti doesn't exist...

Bill Nye is at our library. He's a little evolutionary but not overwhelmingly so; my son just rolls his eyes. The only Bill Nye I would not show my son was the one on volcanoes -- some kind of lewd feeling to that one. Otherwise they have been fun & informative for the most part. (Note: Some have a kind of rock-n-roll song, for those who don't care to show their children that.)

Beakman's World is similar, maybe a little more corny.

Julie