Menu

What grammar curriculum do you use with 7-8th graders?

cherryblossom

We are using Applications of Grammar from Christian Liberty Press and love it, but also use a separate writing program.

I've been wondering about this program for high school. Is it fairly easy to use? Is it more teacher-intensive or student-directed? Can you tell me what it is about it that you like?

Thanks!

I'm using CW Homer with my 7th grader this year. That itself actually teaches grammar but we also do Harvey's Grammar since it's all lined up. Now I've just noticed that Mary Daly's First Book of Diagramming is a great help in how it explain the concepts (I got if for my 6h grader doing CW AesopB).

I like how CW not only teaches the grammar, it not only shows it in literature, it not only has the kids re-work the lit by playing with the grammar, but it also encourages and expects the students to make use of the grammar within their papers. Tools that you can use.

hth

We stuck with R&S through 8th grade...it's a thorough program and if you complete the 8th grade text, you've done enough grammar. My dc were able to drop grammar in hs and concentrate on lit and writing.

I've not really looked at other programs much because I like R&S so well. If it's working for you, I'd stick with it through 8th grade and call grammar "done"!

We use Winston Advanced for 7th/8th gr. to cover modifers such as gerunds and participles; sentence types; clauses, etc. We parse rather than diagram sentences. For practicing grammar mechanics (punctuation, capitalization, word usage, etc.) we edit own writing, and use a variety of things to practice, such as Editor in Chief, or make our own Sonlight-type of dictation worksheets.

I got Analytical Grammar to use with my 9th grader as a final grammar review, and it's awfully "workbooky" and dry to us. However, we're in the minority; most people here use Rod & Staff grammar and do fiine with Analytical Grammar.

Juse a lone dissenting voice. : ) Best of luck in finding what works well for your family! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I've been wondering about this program for high school. Is it fairly easy to use? Is it more teacher-intensive or student-directed? Can you tell me what it is about it that you like?

Thanks!

Sorry - just noticed your question.

I only have the 7th grade Applications of Grammar text. Things I like. Most importantly, the workbook format; my daughter writes the answers in the book. The explanations are direct and understandable and the amount of work is manageable.

I also like the fact that the first chapter is a brief but thorough review of all parts of speech. The text covers diagramming but also links the grammar to writing better sentences.

Feel free to ask more questions!:001_smile:

Sorry - just noticed your question.

I only have the 7th grade Applications of Grammar text. Things I like. Most importantly, the workbook format; my daughter writes the answers in the book. The explanations are direct and understandable and the amount of work is manageable.

I also like the fact that the first chapter is a brief but thorough review of all parts of speech. The text covers diagramming but also links the grammar to writing better sentences.

Feel free to ask more questions!:001_smile:

Thank you very much! We may look into this for high school.