Menu

I need a great book explaining literary symbols. Any suggestions?

I'm just SO uneducated when it comes to symbols in literature. I would like suggestions for a resource - not online, but a book I can hold in my hand - to help me with it.

My only want is that it's easy to refer to so my children can use it, too!

Any suggestions?

One of my all-time favorite homeschooling resources is Using Picture Storybooks to Teach Literary Devices: Recommended Books for Children by Susan Hall.

She takes an idea (irony, foreshadowing, etc.) and defines it and then lists picture books that feature it. It is the only thing all three of my boys could do together (obviously, little guy just enjoyed the story!).

Great resource, though pretty costly! :) I'm also looking for a suggestion that tells me about just symbols...for example if I read the colour red numerous times, what does that mean, etc?

Sidenote to Julie: how in the world do you read so fast? I was over on your blog and I couldn't believe HOW MANY books you review. I particularly liked the reviews that say such things as: meh. :D I was hoping that you had different links where I could see lists of what you've read to the boys, what they've read on their own, and your own list. :)

Great resource, though pretty costly! :) I'm also looking for a suggestion that tells me about just symbols...for example if I read the colour red numerous times, what does that mean, etc?

Sidenote to Julie: how in the world do you read so fast? I was over on your blog and I couldn't believe HOW MANY books you review. I particularly liked the reviews that say such things as: meh. :D I was hoping that you had different links where I could see lists of what you've read to the boys, what they've read on their own, and your own list. :)

I bought the older edition (I think 2nd) for about $5.

I don't have any ideas for a symbolism dictionary, although I am sure they must exist.

How do I read so much? I don't know, really. I just really like to read and so . . . I stay up late and regret it the next day.

I don't have the books categorized; I probably should put tags in.

To Julie,

I saw this last night while looking for graphic organizers for literary elements and thought of this book. I don't have it but I had looked at it online before. This site has picture books organized by literary elements and some links to handouts, etc.

http://www.kimskorner4teachertalk.com/readingliterature/literary_elements_devices/menu.htm

Just thought I'd share....:001_smile:

4kids4me,

I wish I could offer a suggestion...I don't know of any books like this but I would love to have one myself!:001_smile:

Is there another book, though, that's done in, say, a dictionary form where I can look up things that I keep reading...for example flowers mean? Or the colour red means? There must be TONS of symbols out there and I'm not too sure that the Read Lit. Like A Prof. book is enough. I need a reference guide! :)

I'm not sure, but I think what you are asking doesn't exist because it is not the way to think of symbolism. You are looking for a book that has

Flowers = love

Birds = Freedom

Clouds = aspiration

Literature doesn't work that way. Flowers might mean death in a poem and love in a different poem. You can find examples of symbolism, you can have exercises that help people learn about symbolism, but there is not a universal acknowledged list of symbols. You have to work through each poem or story to understand its symbolism. Some authors have symbols that they use that are unique to them. I think Hemingway used birds in flight to symbolize s*x.

But I might be misreading your post. If so, please disregard.

I'm not sure, but I think what you are asking doesn't exist because it is not the way to think of symbolism. You are looking for a book that has

Flowers = love

Birds = Freedom

Clouds = aspiration

Literature doesn't work that way. Flowers might mean death in a poem and love in a different poem.

Symbolism in literature is certainly not cut and dried, but there are symbols that are understood in a larger cultural context and are used by convention.

I have these reference materials:

A Dictionary of Symbols by Cirlot (there was no way I was going to understand Twin Peaks without it)

Man and His Symbols by Jung (no way I was going to get through Robertson Davies without it)

Reverse Symbolism Dictionary by Olderr

Yes but then these become cliché and people move on to create new means to symbols. They are constantly changing and you have look at all the meanings of a symbol to see which one applies. It is not cut and dry. You have to know if the author is playing with the symbolism or is being straight up with them. There are so many types of symbols. There are medieval symbolism that is specific and different from modern symbolism. And as you said it is also culturally specific. A rose in England (think war of the Roses) may mean something different than a rose in German.

Also a symbol in a literary work can have multiple meanings.

Edited by OrganicAnn

Yes but then these become cliché and people move on to create new means to symbols. They are constantly changing and you have look at all the meanings of a symbol to see which one applies. It is not cut and dry. You have to know if the author is playing with the symbolism or is being straight up with them. There are so many types of symbols. There are medieval symbolism that is specific and different from modern symbolism. And as you said it is also culturally specific. A rose in England (think war of the Roses) may mean something different than a rose in German.

I agree. But if you don't know them, you don't know they're being played with. Everyone has to start somewhere. :)

Moira and Ann,

Thanks so much for the discussion and suggestions regarding symbolism. Yes, I DID think that it was cut and dried (it would be VERY helpful had it been! ROFLOL). I DO need a start, though, and I think that the books suggestions are what I'm looking for.

When I read novels I NEVER, never, never see the symbolism in it...I need to start reading a little more carefully, I suppose!

Thanks!

When I read novels I NEVER, never, never see the symbolism in it...

Don't worry, you are NOT the only one. If my DH and I read the same book, I will talk about it and he will say, "I have no idea what you are talking about!" I say, "What do you mean, blah, blah." And go on and on about the sympolism and he looks at me like I'm crazy! Sometimes, I think he misses the ENTIRE meaning of a book! But he still enjoys it for what it meant to him which is usually just the facts of the story.

Thanks so much for the discussion and suggestions regarding symbolism. Yes, I DID think that it was cut and dried (it would be VERY helpful had it been! ROFLOL). I DO need a start, though, and I think that the books suggestions are what I'm looking for.

When I read novels I NEVER, never, never see the symbolism in it...I need to start reading a little more carefully, I suppose!

I am reading a book by John Granger "How Harry Cast His Spell". It is about the Harry Potter series, but it is extensively about symbolism and literary alchemy. I find this subject fascinating! Specifically, the colors black, white and red are highly symbolic and, if you know anything about the HP books, these references are made constantly. (Sirius Black, Albus Dumbledore, Rubeus Hagrid, etc.)

Perhaps you're not a fan of HP, but the Granger book lists it's sources. I plan to check out some of these books myself.

A Dictionary of Literary Alchemy by Lyndy Abraham

Symbol and Archetype: A Study of the Meaning of Existence by Martin Lings

A Dictionary of Symbols by Cirlot, already mentioned here.

Hope that helps. I'm very interested in this, too.

Yes! When people dis Harry Potter, I want to cry, "Harry Potter is a gateway drug to literacy!"

It is, I tell you!

I am reading a book by John Granger "How Harry Cast His Spell". It is about the Harry Potter series, but it is extensively about symbolism and literary alchemy. I find this subject fascinating! Specifically, the colors black, white and red are highly symbolic and, if you know anything about the HP books, these references are made constantly. (Sirius Black, Albus Dumbledore, Rubeus Hagrid, etc.)

Perhaps you're not a fan of HP, but the Granger book lists it's sources. I plan to check out some of these books myself.

A Dictionary of Literary Alchemy by Lyndy Abraham

Symbol and Archetype: A Study of the Meaning of Existence by Martin Lings

A Dictionary of Symbols by Cirlot, already mentioned here.

Hope that helps. I'm very interested in this, too.