Menu

Pls. recc. horse books for 7 almost 8 dd

southmetromom

Dear Friends,

My dd is turning 8. She can read at the Frog and Toad level unassisted, but anything harder than that discourages her (though of course we read lots of things -- as read-alouds). She likes easy readers - step 1, step 2.

Does anyone have some books for my horse-crazy girl? She found some at the library but they seem kind of... not great.

ANy favorite read alouds?

Thanks so much,

Sandy

It doesn't sound like she's quite there, but next steps would probably be Marguerite Henry's Misty and Stormy and the Black Stallion. Perhaps you could do them as read alouds first? If my daughter loved a story at that age she would sometimes then try it on her own. There is also a book with a collection of shortened versions of classic stories like Black Beauty in it (can't remember the title, maybe just Horse Stories) and DK Readers like Horse Heroes. Oh, and Usborne has a Horse and Pony Treasury that has short stories.

My daughter read the Bryer Horse books at that age. She will still get them out and read them to her little sister. She is almost 10 and now reads the regular horse books but not the ones I would read and still read like Black Beauty or Black Stallion series. SHe is reading some four book series that my mom bought her from CBD.com

Well, it's only one book, but it was one of my favorites when I was young and now my dd enjoys it. It's called A Very Young Rider. It is a big book, kind of like a photo biography, of a young girl who is an actual rider. It talks about her home life, the care of her horse, all about showing, etc. There is not a lot of writing on each page and there are those great photos to keep interest. But it is fairly long. It's a wonderful book! It's actually part of a series that chronicles children in all different hobbies (cooking, skating, acting, etc.)

My 9 year old is horse-crazed too! She has read pretty much every horse book that exists. :001_smile:

For your daughter, aside from the Breyer books, I'd recommend the Keeker and the Sneaky Pony series. That should be right at her level. She might also like the Cowgirl Kate and Cocoa series. She might also be ready for the Pony Crazed Princess series soon.

Well, it's only one book, but it was one of my favorites when I was young and now my dd enjoys it. It's called A Very Young Rider. It is a big book, kind of like a photo biography, of a young girl who is an actual rider. It talks about her home life, the care of her horse, all about showing, etc. There is not a lot of writing on each page and there are those great photos to keep interest. But it is fairly long. It's a wonderful book! It's actually part of a series that chronicles children in all different hobbies (cooking, skating, acting, etc.)

Ooo, I'd forgotten, but we picked up a beautiful photo essay-type book from a library discard sale: A Horse Named Paris by Lynn Sonberg with photographs by Ken Robbins. It's quite well done, following a young girl and her horse through their daily tasks at a stable.