Menu

Q about dry erase boards

Do they make a mess under them? When you wipe them is there dust that falls on the ground? I got one today & I just realized it has no little ledge on the bottom - so no place to put the markers/eraser :glare: & now I'm also worrying that gunk will fall on my floor.....

Not that my floor is that clean seeing as I live with 2 very furry dogs & a furry cat. But what if this stuff sticks or stains or gets tracked all over?

The board will be hanging over a light colored laminate floor...

Pls advise this dry erase newb. :001_smile:

tia!

Yes the dust falls on the floor. My children accidentally tracked some on the carpet the other day and I can't get it out so do whatever you can to keep it clean under there!!

FTR, we moved the board so the kids have to track all the way thru two rooms of laminate before they hit carpet in the hopes it comes off in those rooms.

oh yikes.

If I made a little ledge would it help do you think? Can you give me a CSI analysis of the splash zone? LOL

I'm remembering someone did up little bookshelves with plastic rain gutters which they attached to the wall.

http://jas.familyfun.go.com/arts-and-crafts?page=CraftDisplay&craftid=10756

I'm just wondering if I could attach something like that to the bottom whether it would grab most of the dust......

ds is SO excited about this board. He's sure this will be the key to helping him improve his spelling so I want to make this work. :D Maybe I'll need a little scrap of sacrificial rug or something too?

I'm sure a ledge would help. It just sheds when you wipe the writing off so it's not using it but cleaning it that makes the mess.

I'm sure the sacrificial rug would help as well. lol Or maybe just a towel that he has to keep his feet off of while he uses it? Or better yet, you clean it so it's not something he has to even think of?

I'm so glad you mentioned the ledge. I will do that here as well!

Yes the dust falls on the floor. My children accidentally tracked some on the carpet the other day and I can't get it out so do whatever you can to keep it clean under there!!

FTR, we moved the board so the kids have to track all the way thru two rooms of laminate before they hit carpet in the hopes it comes off in those rooms.

Thanks for the warning. That's good to know info! I had no idea. I have 2 small portable ones for the kids and a bigger one for my group classes, I now know to be more careful with the cleaning.

Hmmm, reading about the dust, I had to go scribble on ours and then see what happens, lol. We use an old washcloth to wipe our board and I tried several different ways of wiping, including very haphazardly swatting at it but I couldn't create any dust? Perhaps the eraser that you are using is not absorbing the ink like our washcloth does?

As for not having a ledge.....I have one of those teacup hooks to put the washcloth next to the board, and the pens are in a cup that is also attached to the wall. The washcloth gets tossed in with the other towels on washday and comes out clean and ready to reuse.