Menu

Those who use WWE

Tammie

I'm just the opposite, I only purchased the workbook. I am a former English teacher, so I didn't need the instructor book since she explains reasons for learning writing, etc. I just needed the actual lessons. I think one could make do with this though since at the younger levels, it's pretty much common sense why they would need to learn what she covers. JMHO :)

I have both but I am only using the text because I want to pick my own selections for copywork, etc. I don't find it's a lot of extra work; it probably only takes me about 5 min. per week to decide what to use for the week.

Guest janainaz

I use WWE and I have the workbook. I just like not having to worry about it. I know I could find my own reading selections and select my own sentences for dictation, but the extra money for the workbook is well worth the ease of mind for me. It's just one less thing that I have to think about.

I'm just the opposite, I only purchased the workbook. I am a former English teacher, so I didn't need the instructor book since she explains reasons for learning writing, etc. I just needed the actual lessons. I think one could make do with this though since at the younger levels, it's pretty much common sense why they would need to learn what she covers. JMHO :)

So are you saying that I only need the workbook then? Is that what is common sense or get the Instructor book and the rest is common sense? Sorry I am a bit confused:confused:lol

I just have the text. It's worked out great for us. I actually started the girls two years behind grade level and only do what is in the text. I know that is not the way the material was intended to be used. But, it has worked well for us. I didn't want to have to buy different workbooks for each dd. Now I can use this book for all four girls. That is in theory, of course. I'm sure I will find something new and wonderful by the time my youngers are ready. I'm a serious curriculum junkie.

Tammie - I just noticed the ages of your kids. You obviously can't start a 1st grader 2 years behind! However, I don't think you would find it too difficult to find passages at that level. You'll really get the hang of how it works quickly. Good luck.:001_smile:

So are you saying that I only need the workbook then? Is that what is common sense or get the Instructor book and the rest is common sense? Sorry I am a bit confused:confused:lol

The instructor text includes all 4 years of the program. The workbooks contain the same information as the instructor book, but with all of the writing selections already chosen for you....but the workbooks only cover a single year of instruction each. :)

I got the textbook only when I first started WWE. It was helpful to understanding the goals and the progression from years 1-4. My son was 8 at the time and I worked him through year 1 quickly using only the samples in the textbook. Then I bought the Workbook for year 2, and since I'm now familiar with what the textbook says, I don't use it at all because again the important points are given again at the beginning of the workbook. I love the ease of the workbook pages!

I'm using just the hardcover text. I have actually gone through and picked out selections for about the first 10 weeks or so and typed them out to keep in my binder. I am trying to use mainly literature for the narration, as opposed to samples from their other subjects. For the copywork, however, I'm trying to use as much as I can from science and history. Choosing the samples ahead of time is time consuming, but since I'm typing it all out, I won't have to do it again for my youngest when she starts with WWE. I'm an open-and-go type of teacher, so I like to have my ducks in a row ahead of time.

If anyone is interested in a copy of what I have for narrations so far, I would be happy to share it. I have taken from Anne of Green Gables, Moby Dick, Charlotte's Web, Peter Pan, Little Women, Harry Potter, and several others.

If you are only getting one, then I would get the workbook... The only thing is that if your child is advanced in LA, you may wish you had the textbook b/c the workbook moves too slowly.

Have any of you only purchased the Instructor set? If so have you later wished you had purchased the workbook as well? I am trying to cut costs but don't want to spend my year frustrated that I have made a lot of extra work for myself.

I purchased both the text and the workbook last year. I am so happy that I purchased the workbook. I love that it is so open and go everyday! I would hate having to take the time to pick out copywork and narration every single day for all my children. The workbooks make WWE so easy to implement.

I'd go with the workbook. I just love having the open and go approach. I also find now that my younger dd is in 2nd that they have some interesting ways to flesh out narrating their thoughts that I hadn't thought of myself. I'm using the textbook for my older dd as she's in 4th and there's no workbook. sigh.

Have to say that after some looking around this summer at other writing programs, WWE is so simple and profound. It works at helping their begining skills and it doesn't take all day. (usually:D)

HTH