Menu

Honda transmission trouble--WWYD?

My 2003 Odyssey probably needs a new transmission. This model is notorious for transmission problems but doesn't qualify for the class action settlement for earlier models. :glare:

We have several alternatives and I'd like to hear lots of opinions about what to do (so please post).

1. We could replace a faulty sensor for about $350 and hope that that solves the problem, but the mechanic thinks it's likely we will need a new transmission.

2. Skip step one and just replace the transmission for about $2200 at an independent mechanic. (The sensor would be included with the new transmission.) It would have an 18 month/18,000 mile guarantee and I do trust the mechanic.

3. Take the car to the local Honda dealership and try to convince them to pay part of the repair bill. This might work and dh said he would try. I'd love to hear from anyone who's successfully done this.

4. Take this clunker straight to a Toyota dealership and get a Sierra. We have the cash to pay for a new car. I'd like to be frugal and fix the old car, but if something else comes up, I'm going to kick myself for not dumping it now when dealers are pretty desperate and have old model year cars on the lot.

So, what would you do?

:auto:

Having replaced a transmission twice in a 2001 Honda (and it's clunked again...but we were not plowing money in again) I wish we would have switched to something else originally. We wasted money in the long run.

We did a sensor replace as well but in our case it didn't fix our problem.

If I were doing anything I might look into a factory rebuild via a dealer with a 3 year warranty. This might be cost effective if it doesn't get a lot of mileage and you'll really get three years out of it.

Depends. We have a 2001 Odyssey. We replaced that transmission 3 times. First time at Honda's cost (88k miles), second time at ~159K at Honda dealer with Honda paying partially, third time at ~190K and no Honda contribution. I took it the last time to the Honda dealer to see if they would pay any. No deal. I talked personally with the mechanics and asked what they would do if it were their personal auto. They said replace the transmission, because other than the transmission, this is a good auto. So, we researched and found that we should add a transmission cooler to the system (not standard at the time, check your model.) So, we went to an independent shop and replaced the transmission and added a cooler. The independent dealer told us the filter on that transmission system was totally filled with metal pieces. We think someone along the line hadn't replaced that filter (argh) thus costing us the last transmission. The independent guy also told us to be sure to replace the transmission fluid every year. BTW, we still have that 2001 Odyssey with 235K miles on it now. It is our "spare" vehicle.

So, look at the cost of a new vehicle vs. the cost of transmission. We've had too many Hondas to count. This is the really the only problem we have ever had with one. We purchased another Odyssey - but the 2004 model since it was made after they fixed that nasty transmission problem. If you buy a new vehicle, you will take a big hit on depreciation the first year. Probably that hit will be more than the $2.2K of the transmission. However, I understand the desire to feel sure that your vehicle will not develop problems.

Good luck.

I don't think a 2003 Honda Odyssey qualifies as a clunker because it's combined mpg is 19.

I would probably put a new transmission in it and drive for a while. Then I would sell it and get a Toyota Sienna.

Right now, very few dealers are desperate. The CARS programs wiping out inventory right and left especially of fuel efficent Toyotas. The Sienna qualifies as the new car in the cars program, so I imagine they are selling well right now.

At my dh's dealership, inventory is almost gone and there are selling cars they don't have yet.

And he's heard that most dealers are marking up prices because they can.

ETA you posted while I was posting...

Thanks Steph! Until today I hadn't been thinking of trading in the car this year so I was just assuming the usual late Aug-Sept sell-off was on. If it will be hard to get a good deal on a new car, I think my frugalometer might point to replacing the transmission and hoping to get through till next Sept.

Ibby, as annoyed as I am right now at Honda, my car isn't a lemon. It's 6 years old and got 105K miles on it. I was hoping for better quality, but Honda didn't rip us off. I wouldn't recommend a second generation Odyssey, but I wouldn't avoid all Hondas ever because of this problem. It just makes me put them in the same category as the Big 3, they're not bad, but you can't count on getting exceptional quality from them either. Caveat emptor and all...

Ibby, as annoyed as I am right now at Honda, my car isn't a lemon. It's 6 years old and got 105K miles on it. I was hoping for better quality, but Honda didn't rip us off. I wouldn't recommend a second generation Odyssey, but I wouldn't avoid all Hondas ever because of this problem. It just makes me put them in the same category as the Big 3, they're not bad, but you can't count on getting exceptional quality from them either. Caveat emptor and all...

I was surprised myself to hear your problems with the car because Honda typically enjoys a reputation for high quality. I didn't realize it had such high miles on it. Yes it seems you've gotten quite a few miles with it in those 6 years and I guess a new transmission isn't that far out on a 6 year vehicle. I apologize for any misunderstanding with my comment about the lemon law. When I read your original post about the transmission problems with the Hondas I thought you were saying that the transmission problems were prolific for this model type. That is why I thought that you could find a recourse through the Lemon Law. I'm sorry for my mistake. :blushing:

Blessings,

Jennifer

We have a 2003 Honda Odyssey that needed a new transmission 2 years ago. We found out while it was at the dealer for routine maintenance. I went online and found out that there were MANY problems w/the 2003 transmission. At the time the car was only 4 years old and we were still making car payments. I don't remember my exact words but I'm sure they were something to the effect of, "there is no way we are paying for this repair when this car is only 4 years old. This is a factory defect as I've discovered the 2002 were recalled and the 2003's should be too."

The dealership replaced the transmission ($1600 estimate) and we didn't pay a dime. Go for it. Be firm. And angry!! :D