Menu

How many here use TOG for high school?

Hello Ginger-

We are embarking on the TOG journey this year for the first time. I have UG, dialectic, and rhetoric students. One of the main reasons I chose TOG is for the in depth discussions which come from the reading. Thus, teaching the students to think, to choose a worldview, and to make connections with the past. We are participating in a co-op so the discussions should be quite lively :L)

Teresa in NC

We are using TOG Year 2 this year for 10th (plus a D, and two UGs). It is a very rich program and almost too much at times. It is easy to assign TOO much each week because so many options are available.

HOWEVER, it is a very, very good academic program. The support for the parent to have discussions with the child are beyond excellent. The combination of history, lit, worldview, and for the rhetoric level, government and philosophy and fine arts, is phenomenal.

I think it is an excellent high school program.

I have used TOG for high school for the past 3 years, starting my fourth. KarenCiavo does as well.

It has been terrific - I couldn't imagine using anything else. It's late, and I have no brain cells left, but hopefully I'll remember to post some more specifics tomorrow.

HOWEVER, it is a very, very good academic program. The support for the parent to have discussions with the child are beyond excellent. The combination of history, lit, worldview, and for the rhetoric level, government and philosophy and fine arts, is phenomenal.

I agree. We're starting our 3rd year with TOG (our 1st at the Rhetoric level).

We are using TOG Year 2 this year for 10th (plus a D, and two UGs). It is a very rich program and almost too much at times. It is easy to assign TOO much each week because so many options are available.

:iagree:I have a Rhetoric dd in 10th doing yr 2 (we just started TOG with yr 1 last year) and a Dialectic ds in 6th. We switched from Sonlight because of the aforementioned discussion guides and the advantage of all levels in one IG and studying the same topic. However, I am cutting some things due to the heavy overload it would be if you did it as written.

I am cutting Words of Delight (and maybe Poetics and Frameworks) because she is getting so much of this in English and in Sonlight British Literature. We do not do the arts/activities (except for a period later in the year where the art reading is also the history reading) or government (she will do a separate 1 semester government course her senior year).

We have been very pleased both with the quality of instruction and the choice of books. Dd says Foxe's Book of Martyrs is very boring and I've let her drop it.

Hi,

We are Tapestry users. My dd is a senior this year. She has done the Rhetoric level for years 1 and 2 and we are approaching year 3. I have 5 others who are spread amongst the other levels. :) Yes, it is rigorous and sometimes difficult to pick and choose. However, now that we are applying for colleges, I am thrilled with the preparation she has gotten working through this curriculum. In my opinion, the Rhetoric level is where you REALLY get your money's worth from TOG! :)

Polly in MS