Menu

manipulatives needed in singapore math?

storkyswan

For those of you who have used singapore math . . .which manipulatives did you need to purchase to effectively use the program? I don't want to be creating alot of my own manipulatives, I simply won't have the time, but nor do I want to purchase manipulatives I really don't have to use. Any insights will be appreciated.

I used a set of connecting cubes and a small plastic balance. Here's a link to a set of cubes that is around $10.

Check out this balance - this is similar to what we used. We used the cubes instead of weights to weigh things (i.e. this toy car weighs the same as three cubes). We weighed just about every toy in the house that would fit in the bucket! :lol:

You don't technically need the cubes, you can use other things as manipulatives (beads, beans, etc.), but the examples in the book are taught using cubes, and we have gotten a lot of use out of our set. They are also great for later when you start teaching number bonds, etc.

I think with these two items you will be set and that it's $20 well spent. :)

We use counters, multilink cubes, the number cards, the dot cards - in 1A. My dd likes manilupatives, so I try to use some as the lesson goes. She loves the card games for number bonds.

In K we used multilinks and counters mostly. I bought them at rainbowresources.

I used a set of connecting cubes and a small plastic balance. Here's a link to a set of cubes that is around $10.

Check out this balance - this is similar to what we used. We used the cubes instead of weights to weigh things (i.e. this toy car weighs the same as three cubes). We weighed just about every toy in the house that would fit in the bucket! :lol:

I think with these two items you will be set and that it's $20 well spent. :)

This looks great! Thank-you.

We use the multilink cubes, a set of base ten cubes, a balance and a small kitchen scale, and an abacus. I haven't used the counters or the cutouts at the back of the TG -- I've found a way to use either the abacus, the multilink cubes or the base ten cubes in place of those things. The cutouts would drive me crazy copying and cutting -- the base ten cubes work just as well for counting to 40, to 100, to 1000, etc.

I have the simple balance someone linked above -- it's nice for level 1, but then when we got to level 2, I had a hard time finding inexpensive standard and metric weight sets. Of course, you can just use a cheap kitchen scale, which I bought and use. However, I decided I wanted my dds to be able to use and read a balance scale as well as a kitchen scale. So, I also bought a set of metric weights and it ended up costing me more than if I had just gotten the more expensive balance in the first place. If I had to do it over, I would have initially spent a little more money on a balance that had it's own weight set included. It gets enough use to be worth it, esp. with 2 dc.

Edited by amsunshine