Menu

Facebook privacy heads-up

Okay. I rarely log onto Facebook because I'm just not that into it. In fact, I'm ready to give it up entirely. A long time ago, I set up an automatic feed from my blog into Facebook, so that my blog posts are automatically posted onto my Wall as Notes (I'm capitalizing to make them stand out as specific applications...not that I believe it is grammatically correct).

Yesterday, I was checking my wall, and saw my most-recent blog post imported Note had a somewhat snarky comment posted by a NON FRIEND (who has requested friendship, but I have not responded to in any way). This person is someone I know, though no one with whom I am a friend of a friend, so there is no connection there.

HOW IN THE WORLD did she get onto my wall and post? I had to know. Soooo....

I checked all of my security settings, and had to go DEEEEEP. There was a setting not on the main security menu, but on the settings menu, sub applications sub-menu ...it must have been a default setting, because I never set any "NOTES" parameters...there was one checkbox clicked "on" for "friends of friends and networks can view and comment on notes". AAAACK! How deep does one have to go to make yourself private on this thing?! The more I explore Facebook, the more I realize it is just a big advertising scheme, and really, there is very little privacy unless you are SO proactive.

So if you want to be private, check every single setting. I also found way down deep settings that I had to UNCHECK to make my photos, videos, etc. NOT feedable. So even if you have checked only friends can see your photos, etc., you have to go deeper to UNCHECK whether or not they can be made feedable (whatever that means -- doesn't sound very private to me) by them.

Any insight? Am I missing something??? The feed was set up BEFORE the big "look" change, and I haven't added any applications since then. Is it easier to set up security now?

Edited by BikeBookBread
clarification

Yes. You really need to set every single privacy setting. It's not difficult, but if one wants full Privacy settings, one does need to go to the Privacy sections and go through the lists. It's not long, or at all difficult; it's very clear & straightforward. For full privacy, one needs to check box by box.

Yeah the default settings are for everyone on FB to see your stuff; it's really easy to set the privacy settings tho - and you can even make lists of friends that have stricter privacy settings than other ones. I wish they were a little more upfront with their default settings, but once you get in there, it's pretty easy to do.

This is why I will remain Faceless forever. ;)KWIM. I don't go there.

Totally with you. My friends keep trying and I keep telling them, aside from the fact that I do not know how to make time for this, there are just too many people who have no good intentions who know how to get into people's stuff. I don't want anyone having any more opportunities to mess with my stuff than is absolutely necessary. :glare:

Yes. You really need to set every single privacy setting. It's not difficult, but if one wants full Privacy settings, one does need to go to the Privacy sections and go through the lists. It's not long, or at all difficult; it's very clear & straightforward. For full privacy, one needs to check box by box.

Agreed.