Menu

Serger suggestions

Can anyone recommend a serger for a beginner? I have sewn alot in the past, and would like to get back into it. I would like to buy a serger around $200. I asked at sewingmamas.com and numerous sm suggested the Brother 1034D which Walmart has for $200. Anyone have this one or there is also a Janome for around $200.

Whatever you do, don't buy the cheapest! Buy one that is easy, or at least easier to thread. That is worth paying for, lol.

Rosie

:iagree: with Rosie. I made the mistake of buying a cheap sewing machine from Walmart and it was nothing but headaches every time I used it. I wound up finding an old Singer sewing machine at the Salvation Army Thrift store... one of those solid metal ones that were built like tanks, that thing runs like a dream!!! It's a night and day experience over my Brother sewing machine. :) If I were you, I'd look into a used well made model before buying a cheaper new one. Just my humble 2 cents. :)

I have a Pfaff serger and it was a bit pricey. But, I have never regretted the money. Each time I am ready to sew, it easily threads and operates. Lately, on my local Craig's List there have been high end sewing machines, sergers, etc., for around $300 - $500. They are used, but if you stick with something that is easy to thread and use, you will get your money's worth. If you buy something cheap, you will end up wasting your money and never using it.

Try Craig's List for a couple of weeks or put up a wanted ad, ask around at your local sewing machine shops for used machines and check out the newspaper. Last week I noticed someone selling a very nice older sewing machine with all the attachments for $10.

Keep looking and I wish you the best!

I was just looking on PatternReview.com (my favorite sewing site) and looked through the classifieds. I found a Pfaff serger and it is listed for $400!!!! I paid way more than this for my new one. She states in her ad that she moved to a retirement village, and no longer has room for it.

Pfaff makes a great serger.

Here is the link:

http://sewing.patternreview.com/classified/7861

PatternReview.com also has many other classified listings. Keep checking it out if this is not the serger for you. It also has a forum for you to ask sewing questions and review patterns that you have made. There is another section with a gallery of photos. These are patterns that others have made and they post the results of the garment along with photos. A great resource for sewists.

I have a White Superlock 2000ATS. I don't think they make that particular model anymore, but looking at the White website, either of the current Superlocks look like they would work. This is definitely not a top-of-the-line machine, but it has lasted me 8 (9?) years and is EASY to thread. :001_smile:

I bought it because of the easy threading; after using my mother's and grandmother's way-more-expensive sergers, I still prefer my Superlock because of this one feature. The front plate swings away, and everything is easily reachable. I think I bought mine at JoAnn Fabrics, but don't remember for sure.