Menu

stanford anyone?

gullicat

who graduated from there back in the day.

It's a beautiful campus, pretty small for a university I would say. The weather is unbeatable, and lots of people bike around campus all year round. (It does rain, though.)

Legendary networking availability--you're automatically hooked in with everyone who has ever gone there. It's the only 'semi-Ivy League' school out here on the West Coast.

I studied Chemical Engineering at Berkeley, and although Stanford had a great reputation in that field, that was more because of their good graduate education. Their undergrad course of study didn't even include Unit Operations, so it seemed pretty inadequate to prepare you for a career with just a BS. Just an example to show that it's important to check the caliber of the specific degree program as well as department if you are considering it.

Lots of Silicon Valley techies and venture capital people attended Stanford, and stayed nearby. I've heard very good things about their graduate physics department.

• 3 weeks later...
it's important to check the caliber of the specific degree program as well as department if you are considering it.

Another hijack:

How, exactly, does one go about doing this without having an "in" in the field in question? What should one look for? And where to look?

Karen

I would see if the have the Rugg book of colleges in your library. He is a statistician who has perused over colleges for many years and has majors listed with which colleges have strong departments. You can also look in one section and check which departments are strong in a particular college. He lists many small and regional colleges so there is a wide selection in many fields. They are all divided up by very selective, more selective and selective categories. I found the guide to be very helpful to me since my dd is potentially majoring in fields that I have no personal knowledge about the strength of the department and can't tell much with the course listings either.

One particular caution I would like to mention is that in these economic times, colleges and universities are cutting and will be cutting departments. You don't want to have your child go to a school and have the department cut after their freshman or sophomore year.Transferring usually means extra semesters sepnt in college.