Menu

X-post HELP with ingredient for science activity

I wanted to do this activity to grow stalagtites but don't know what washing soda is???? I'm assuming it would be in the laundry aisle at the grocery store?

COOL CAVE STALAGTITES

Needed:

washing soda (get at grocery)

hot tap water

foot-long piece of string

2 baby food jars

two washers

small dish

Tie a washer to each end of the string. Fill the two jars with hot water and stir in washing

soda until no more will dissolve in the water. Place the ends of your string into the two

jars, with the ends of the string touching the bottom of the jars. Put the dish between the

two jars so you have a loose, drooping string "bridge" hanging over it, from one jar to the

other. Let sit for 4 or 5 days. A cave-like stalagtite (formation that grows down from the

ceiling) and stalagmite (formation that grows up from the floor) will start to grow over the

dish at its lowest point.

TIA

I wanted to do this activity to grow stalagtites but don't know what washing soda is???? I'm assuming it would be in the laundry aisle at the grocery store?

COOL CAVE STALAGTITES

Needed:

washing soda (get at grocery)

hot tap water

foot-long piece of string

2 baby food jars

two washers

small dish

Tie a washer to each end of the string. Fill the two jars with hot water and stir in washing

soda until no more will dissolve in the water. Place the ends of your string into the two

jars, with the ends of the string touching the bottom of the jars. Put the dish between the

two jars so you have a loose, drooping string "bridge" hanging over it, from one jar to the

other. Let sit for 4 or 5 days. A cave-like stalagtite (formation that grows down from the

ceiling) and stalagmite (formation that grows up from the floor) will start to grow over the

dish at its lowest point.

TIA

This sounds exactly like the experiment I did from CKE Earth & Space. Their experiment called for epsom salts instead. We had success using those.

I thought that you could use Borax as washing soda.

Borax is sodium perborate and washing soda is sodium carbonate--not to be confused with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) but the box looks like a bigger lighter colored box of baking soda. (Washing soda is toxic by the way - another important distinction!)

They can be used to accomplish the same task in the laundry, but are chemically very different.

Borax is sodium perborate and washing soda is sodium carbonate--not to be confused with baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) but the box looks like a bigger lighter colored box of baking soda. (Washing soda is toxic by the way - another important distinction!)

They can be used to accomplish the same task in the laundry, but are chemically very different.

Ah - thanks for the explanation!

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf71947321.tip.html

Especially the first post

RE: Where Can I Buy Washing Soda?

By oredwine1933 (14) small_email.jpgContact1x1.gifPosted by

John

(johng AT effingham.net) on

Mon, Feb 25, 08 at 11:14

Call this phone number 1-800-524-1328 and have the UPC code 33200-03020. The service will ask for your zip code and then tell you places in your area that sell the item. I believe this service will locate most items if you have the UPC code number. My area said the Kroger store.

I did this and found a Kroger store near had it.

Posted on 07/30/2009