Menu

Sewing question

I have posted that my dd has narrowed down her sewing machine purchase to two machines. The Janome 6600P and the Bernina 240. We went again to look at the Janome and I realized it is not a free-arm machine. It is a wonderful machine that comes with a very nice custom built-in table and has a lot of wonderful features that the Bernina does not for the same price. I have not sewed for many years, although I used to sew quite a bit. My old Bernina is a free arm that was very nice for doing sleeves and hems. My dd will probably for now be sewing garments, but later may do quilting. So do you use your free arm alot and would you purchase a machine that did not have a free arm. TIA

I use my free arm all the time. I would not buy a machine without it.

What features does the Janome have that the Bernina doesn't? I would probably weigh the worth of those features against the freearm. Are they practical features you would really use or do they just look neat? Think about what she will be using the machine for most and then ask yourself if you would really use them.

Speaking from experience here. I tend to get carried away by "extras". I probably only use 20% of the stitches on my Bernina 930 I've had for around 25 years!

Okay, these are the some of the features that the Janome has that the Bernina does not.

1. It comes with a sewing table that was made specifically for this model. It makes a very nice sewing surface.

2. The Janome has a built in walking foot. I know you can buy one for the Bernina, but it is expensive and the Janome's is built it, not added on.

3. It has automatic scissors. I tested this out and it was very nice. Just press a button and your threads are cut.

4. It has a start/stop button. You can press start and it sews without using the foot pedal.

5. There are more stitches and buttonhole options.

There were a couple more, but I can not remember right now.

The only drawback of the Janome is it is not a free-arm. Any thoughts?

I like my free-arm Janome, but you know, I sewed for many years on machines that didn't have them and lived to tell about it.

You can't go wrong with either machine.

What model Janome do you have and how do you like it? My dd is spending about $1600 for either the Janome or the Bernina, and she wants to get the best for her money.

I have posted previously about the Walking foot..to me it is invaluable as I use it every single time I sew. The free arm..........I use it and it is great to have, but I would figure out a way around it if I didn't have it.

I agree with Ellie..I sewed for years on my Mom's sewing machine that was mounted in a cabinet.

The way you've described the Janome it sounds as though it is designed for quilting, hence no free arm sewing option.

What your DD buys depends on the kind of sewing she will do both now and in the future. I have sewn on industrial machines, treadle machines and very basic machines with zig-zag and straight stitch and ones that have all the electronic bell and whistles. If your going to spend $1600, I'd look for the most versatile machine your money can buy. The free arm is an invaluable tool for sewing garments. Do you really need that custom, built in table and how much of an extra expense is it? The multiple stitches that many newer machines come with are seldom used. I have an older Bernina 950 which sews beautifully and is a simple machine to fix. I also have for my DD a very basic Janome brand new which also sews beautifully. Perhaps look for a machine that is more on the basic side and less electronic. If I were going to quit on a machine I'd invest in a machine designed for quilting and have a separate machine for those projects. For garment construction I'd invest in a good overlock machine too. Love that narrow rolled hem on the Bernina overlock.