Menu

What is a "negative rep" and who posts it and where? And how do you know you got one?

Go to "User control panel". You'll should see that I just gave you a positive rep. It's green. A gray rep means that the person giving you the rep hasn't posted very often in the past. A red rep is a negative reputation. You can give people reps by clicking on the scales in the top right hand corner of their post. Seems like folks giving out negative reps aren't posting their names. They are just dinging someone and running away with their tail between their legs.

That's the $64,000 question, LOL! WHO is posting them???? Since we moved over to this format, we've had several folks who have had problems with this. I think our current thinking is that it's been done by a troll or trolls, just jumping in to try to cause a furor.....

I'm not exactly sure how you know if you've gotten one. I think some have said that their green dots next to their name turn grey after they've gotten negative rep. But folks who don't have any (or at least it must be only a little) rep also have grey dots..... So I'm not quite sure about this. It may be that after you've accrued a few points of positive rep, then the negative won't really affect you until you get enough to take you down to zero? Not sure....

If you look across the top of your screen, you'll see "control panel". If you go to your control panel, you can see your "rep", if any, on the right side. You can choose from the left-side options to go to your private messages or send message or emails. You can click to see all previous posts you've made in case you'd like to follow-up on those, etc., etc.

Regena

You click on User Control Panel and it shows up under any subscribed threads with new posts. Well, they don't all seem to show up at once. I didn't have any ratings for the longest time. I have a negative one from some anonymous person, but since I also had a few positive ones at the same time, didn't let it bother me. It wasn't even the most controversial post I've ever written, either. It was either a troll or I got someone's goat over something I was being very civil about, I thought.

That's the $64,000 question, LOL! WHO is posting them???? Since we moved over to this format, we've had several folks who have had problems with this. I think our current thinking is that it's been done by a troll or trolls, just jumping in to try to cause a furor.....

I'm not exactly sure how you know if you've gotten one. I think some have said that their green dots next to their name turn grey after they've gotten negative rep. But folks who don't have any (or at least it must be only a little) rep also have grey dots..... So I'm not quite sure about this. It may be that after you've accrued a few points of positive rep, then the negative won't really affect you until you get enough to take you down to zero? Not sure....

Regena

No, the green dot right next to a name means someone is logged in. Like right now, my name would have a green dot, and yours is grey -- I'm logged on, you're not.

Edit: Well, obviously, I'm talking about this VERY minute, while I'm typing this -- NOT while you're *reading* it! LOL