Menu

lapbookers...

ABQmom

What do you do with your lapbooks while you are working on them, and where do you store them after the children finish with them?

I have been working on a very simple lapbook with my 5 year old, and it sat on my kitchen counter all summer for lack of a better place to keep it without forgetting about it. Now, it's finished, but I want my dd to enjoy looking at it. I just don't know where to put it that it won't get lost in the fray.

My children love to make books, but they rarely look at them when they are finished with them. I know the process is the most important idea here, but I don't want to just throw the book away when the kids are done with them either. :confused:

Any suggestions?

I saw this awesome thing on a blog....use duck tape or masking tape along the left side of the lapbook to "extend" the edge - put one piece of tape along the whole side on the front and 1 piece of along the whole back side so that the tape touches and is no longer sticky. Then you can 3 hole punch it and put it in a binder and you havent punched holes through the lapbook itself. I have to keep a portfolio where I am, so they all stay in the binder, but you can make a special binder specifically for lapbooks that they can then pull off of the shelf and look at whenever they want.

HTH!

I store our mini books in a small plastic bin while we're working on a lapbook. (We make all the mini books first and assemble the book at the very end.) Afterwards, I keep the lapbooks on a bookshelf for the children to pull down and look at. I've also stored them in one of those fan style file boxes. The binder idea is a clever idea, I'll have to consider it.

I have a "project drawer in our dresser (we have drawers for each subject). I keep extra file folders, paper, markers, library pockets and anything else they may need for the lapbooks in this drawer. I also keep the items for the lapbook we are currently working on (or if more than one all of them) in this drawer. Once done I plan on putting them in a binder (like described above). We should finish our first one this week and then we have a Continent one (for Asia) we should be finishing soon.

I usually have three "project" periods a week scheduled for the kids to work on lapbooks or any other project we may be working on that week. That way they can just sit and create.

I saw this awesome thing on a blog....use duck tape or masking tape along the left side of the lapbook to "extend" the edge - put one piece of tape along the whole side on the front and 1 piece of along the whole back side so that the tape touches and is no longer sticky. Then you can 3 hole punch it and put it in a binder and you havent punched holes through the lapbook itself. I have to keep a portfolio where I am, so they all stay in the binder, but you can make a special binder specifically for lapbooks that they can then pull off of the shelf and look at whenever they want.

HTH!

I really like this idea. Thanks!

HTH!

That is how we do it but we also keep the finished lapbooks with their stlye of subject. So science ones are with the science books and history with their appropriate time frame and so forth.

Very easy to reference then as well.

While we are working on a lapbook, we put everything in a gallon size zip-lock bag. After they are completed, I put them on the bookshelf and sort them by category or subject. My daughter is free to look at them at any time. I also like the idea of putting them in the magazine racks. So much time is put into a lapbook that you don't want to hide them away.

I do a little differently with our continent lapbooks since we work on each one for an entire semester. I have a special bulletin board that has the continent name and map. As we work on the different pieces to the lapbook, we put them on the bulletin board. At the end of the semester, everything gets put in the lapbook and stored on the bookshelf.

Amy