Menu

I am concerned @ CLE math and the amount of work

Quiver0f10

I think you can skip some things but I would be very careful about it since it is a spiral program and you don't want to leave out too much of the review.

I'm using the 3rd and 4th levels for math and don't think it is overwhelming for them. My girls have learned a lot with the program and I highly recommend it.

I have been using the 300 and 400 levels for my middle son. He is pokey and easily overwhelmed...it has not been an issue after the first week. I just broke it down.

I started 100 with my youngest at the end of his school year for Kinder in the spring. He did great - it is not a lot. It is spread out over pages but I think that is just so they have room to write and work the problems. I have noticed this in all grades and subjects. We didn't take more than 10-20 min for the 100 lessons. No problem at all.

HTH!

I've done 1-3 with dd who is a math hater and she doesn't complain- a few grumbles but not much. It is not all drill-ish like Saxon can be with pages of drill problems-there's lots of white space and easy stuff (like measurement) mixed in. They don't give you pages and pages of boring problems.

The first grade isn't to much. I think its reasonable. And if it should be too much then maybe assign a page or maybe at least 10 problems. Just work your way up each day with a little bit more.

It gets to be a bit much when it hits 4th but I broke it down for my oldest (who is 11 by the way) at first it was one page, then two pages. By the end of the year she was able to tackle on the work but she still had days where she wanted to do one or two pages and that was fine. In the end her math scores were very impressive. She had definitely improved with her math and this was coming from a child that just doesn't test well at all.

Dot goes through a lesson (100 level) in about 20 minutes. Today she was struggling, but didn't want to put it away, so I made her do the entire lesson. Usually we skip the extra addition & subtraction drill, but today it was like all of her math facts just vanished leaving behind a yawning chasm of nothing. :p It still took only about 25-30 minutes, but again, today was a rough day.

On a normal day we do two-to-three lessons, spend about ten or fifteen minutes per lesson, skipping the flashcards, timed drills, and extra addition & subtraction problems.

We are in 300 and have done CLE with the older all the way through.

It isn't long at all when we do it this way--

He has an "assignment sheet" that he works on while I'm working with the 2nd son--he does Spelling, Handwriting, Pathway Readers, and the "We REmember" review part of his math lesson. (Note--in the Lightunit, the "new material" is first, and the "We Remember" second for each lesson, so we are essentially "doing it out of order" but it is NOT a problem.)

He usually does his assignment sheet for about 30 minutes, in whatever order he wants, then takes a break. The math part takes him 20 minutes or less. We get back together and do the new math part, and flashcards and speed drill (10 minutes or so) and writing, English, some reading, etc.

I asked him the other day, when I read the other posts concerned about the length, if he though CLE math takes a long time--and he said NO. I can only say it's probably because we split it up this way; I didn't really do it on purpose. I was just separating out independent work so I'd have time to work with my younger son.

Betsy

• 3 weeks later...
Guest lahmeh

I have 2 dc doing 1st and 2nd grade Math, LA and reading. My 7 yo dd will sit and do 2 or 3 math lessons in one sitting without complaining (and she does not like "school"). My 6 yo ds is never overwhelmed doing 1 lesson in math and 1 in reading in one sitting before taking a break. :)