Menu

Grammar for high school?

HollyDay

I was challenged this past weekend on my choosing to do LRTEG for 8th -10th. The ladies I was with, felt formal grammar must stop about 6th grade. It is NEVER done in high school (?).

We had gotten together to discuss next year's curriculum choices. After that conversation, they disregarded everything I had to say or show them on any topic.

What does the hive say? Does grammar stop in intermediate levels or does it continue into high school. It is dd's best subject. That is why I chose LRTEG, it is hard (so far). I do not have a current copy of WTM so I cannot look this one up.

Thanks!

According to WTM formal grammar stops in high school and then it is just a review. We use R&S and books 9 and 10 (the last 2 grammar books they make) are nothing but review with a few new sections on editing, oral speaking and writing. The majority is review of concepts learned from 3rd through 8th.

Even the major homeschool publishers (A Beka & Bob Jones) do half a year of grammar through 12th grades. Maybe not every child needs that, but your choosing to continue with grammar is certainly within the norm.

My plan is to cover some grammar every year in preparation for the SAT.

Thank you for the replies. Normally, this type of thing doesn't bother me, but for some reason, this one did. I agree the grammar should be transitioned into more writing emphasis, but it should still be covered.

I suppose too when I think of "grammar", I am thinking about a more complete english program that includes punctuation, sentence structure, word usage, parts of speech, good writing skills, etc. I just don't think those things should be abandoned after Jr High.

I was challenged this past weekend on my choosing to do LRTEG for 8th -10th. The ladies I was with, felt formal grammar must stop about 6th grade. It is NEVER done in high school (?).

This is entirely untrue. As already mentioned....look at the major curriculum providers: BJU, Abeka, Rod & Staff. Plus, in looking at the high school level books, there is soooo much more to be learned than the basics that one will get if they only make it to 6th grade! :001_huh: Utterly ridiculous.

We had gotten together to discuss next year's curriculum choices. After that conversation, they disregarded everything I had to say or show them on any topic.

Yeah, well, I'd chalk them up as homeschool snobs who think they know it all but actually know nothing beyond what some homeschool "expert" has told them in a book. :tongue_smilie::lol:

What does the hive say? Does grammar stop in intermediate levels or does it continue into high school. It is dd's best subject. That is why I chose LRTEG, it is hard (so far). I do not have a current copy of WTM so I cannot look this one up.

Thanks!

Holly, I would continue on as you are. Do what you feel is best for YOUR dd. I personally don't think one can have too much grammar instruction. That's like saying one can know too much math, too much vocab, spell too well. :confused: Now, will your dd get into a lot of grammar work in college? Probably not, of course that remains to be seen depending on her major. But, using ones mind is what school is all about! Plus, being thoroughly solid in grammar will be a huge asset in learning other languages. There is not a single thing wrong with that!

I say...continue on! :D

It depends on if your kid knows his grammar or not! :001_smile:

If they know and have mastered the whole thing, then it is now YOUR job to hold them accountable for it in their writing. This is also the time for reinforcement (that's different than re-teaching). To me grammar is something you learn, not something you do, KWIM?

If, on the other hand, your student hasn't mastered it all, then you have to get it taught and learned. It's not a matter of grade level, it's a matter of mastery. If your child can tell you everything that's happening in a sentence and knows where his commas go and WHY they go there, etc. you're done. If not, then you need to get finished and soon.

It depends on if your kid knows his grammar or not! :001_smile:

If they know and have mastered the whole thing, then it is now YOUR job to hold them accountable for it in their writing. This is also the time for reinforcement (that's different than re-teaching). To me grammar is something you learn, not something you do, KWIM?

If, on the other hand, your student hasn't mastered it all, then you have to get it taught and learned. It's not a matter of grade level, it's a matter of mastery. If your child can tell you everything that's happening in a sentence and knows where his commas go and WHY they go there, etc. you're done. If not, then you need to get finished and soon.

:iagree: My oldest daughter has a great understanding of grammar therefor now in high school we just do quick review daily of grammar in R&S book 10 and focus much more on writing. At the end of this book, we won't have a grammar book per say because this is the last book.

The ladies I was with, felt formal grammar must stop about 6th grade. It is NEVER done in high school (?).

Does grammar stop in intermediate levels or does it continue into high school.

Ds is doing R&S 6, and I feel like we are just scratching the surface, so I can't imagine stopping now! There were a few things in book 5 I never learned, now in 6, there are many more things I never learned. And I do feel I was missing out on something that would have helped me over the years. Gosh, we were sitting on the couch going over lessons 10-12 (I know, crazy, but I wanted to get to lesson 12 by today), and I just loved the diagraming and how it helped us to take a sentence apart. I could see the wheels turning in ds's mind as he analyzed each sentence and told me what parts go where, and why. They are more involved sentences, yet he was doing it because of previous training. But my point is, it is helping us to slow down, analyze writing, and think about what is actually being said. What a great skill to have for life! Not just for editing our own writing, but for analyzing reading, analyzing what someone else is telling us, etc.. It's really a mental exercise to sharpen critical thinking skills.

Ds also made the observation that the R&S 3 book has a cover picture of laying a foundation. The R&S 6 book had progressed to putting a roof on the house, he thought he saw my R&S 8 book with people putting in a garden outside the finished house, and the R&S 9/10 books have cover pictures of people sitting inside the house; reading and writing. I never really noticed. But I liked that progression of illustrations.

I see a huge value now in working on and mastering grammar, and then reviewing it while writing and as needed throughout life.

(signed, a New Grammar Geek) :D

Thank you for the replies. Normally, this type of thing doesn't bother me, but for some reason, this one did. I agree the grammar should be transitioned into more writing emphasis, but it should still be covered.

I suppose too when I think of "grammar", I am thinking about a more complete english program that includes punctuation, sentence structure, word usage, parts of speech, good writing skills, etc. I just don't think those things should be abandoned after Jr High.

Well, not to mention that the "grammar" you are doing is in *Latin*! (Of course, they probably think that's a waste of time as well.)

Kind of off-topic: But, I just noticed that on the Home Scholar (?) website, LRTEG is highly recommended. Do you by any chance know how difficult it would be to transition to LRTEG *after* Henle I? (I can't email the LRTEG author from the website - my computer isn't able to open whatever-it-is that is supposed to come up.)

And, by the way, how is it going? Do you & your student like it? Is it really self-teaching? The Henle *can* be, but it's not fun.

Thanks! And, I'm sorry you had to sit through such rudeness!

:iagree: with the other posters--YES, it IS done in highschool! It varies as time goes along, but it's there! I think the ladies smugness was rude and unacceptable! Good grief! :glare:

Maybe you can show them that, really, THEY are the ignorant ones! IF they see the answers to this questions, and do some on-line research, they would find that out quickly!:tongue_smilie:

In response to Erin, yes, my CHILD knows grammar. Her Iowa scores were 13+ for the majority of language arts. That is why I chose LRTEG, so we could transition her abundant knowledge of english grammar into a working knowledge of latin.

Cool! Then if she knows her stuff, you simply need a way to reinforce what she knows. You don't need to go through another program because that would be reteaching it.

She needs to be held accountable for her mechanics in her writing and speech. You also need to find a way for her to periodically practice her grammar skills so she doesn't forget.

In response to Erin, yes, my CHILD knows grammar. Her Iowa scores were 13+ for the majority of language arts. That is why I chose LRTEG, so we could transition her abundant knowledge of english grammar into a working knowledge of latin.

Are the other ladies you met with using Classical Methods? Do they teach Latin? Is it possible they were intimidated by your going a more classical route and wanted to freeze you out to make themselves feel adequate?

Just a thought.....