Menu

Beet Recipe for Non-Beet Lover

We recently tried this red flannel hash. Our kids liked it. Another recipe I've made that we've liked is similar. This recipe looks close to what I've made: Roasted Potato, Beet and Onion Salad. I don't like beets so mixing with potatoes and other flavors is good for me! :001_smile: My dh loves beets and likes them just boiled then peeled with a little butter.

Try a recipe with brown sugar and a bit of orange juice or zest. My computer is slow, so I can't find one for you right now, but just sliced in half and put down on a baking dish with the sugar, butter and orange flavoring (don't have to have the orange.) I think my original recipe might have had some apple cider vinegar. I think that beets would do well wrapped in heavy foil on the barbeque too...I like mine in salad...when cooled..with eggs and such...

Carrie:-)

My husband insisted that golden beets tasted nothing like regular beets, so we put some in the garden this year.

Blech. They tasted just like regular beets. I tried several recipes and couldn't manage to choke them down no matter how I disguised them.

Good luck.

Good luck... I've tried off and on for years to feel even a bit of like. Doesn't work... I loathe them.

Beet greens are great though. :)

My family all enjoys beets and greens, so maybe this won't be much help.

But ... one of our favorite ways is to rinse and dry them, wrap in aluminum foil and bake at about 375 for an hour. Peel, add a little salt, pepper and perhaps butter. Caution: This works best with small to medium beets, 2 to 2.5 inches in diameter.

Good luck... I've tried off and on for years to feel even a bit of like. Doesn't work... I loathe them.

Beet greens are great though. :)

:iagree:

I've tried a number of recipes this year since beets are common in my CSA share.

None of the additional ingredients hide the strong (dirt!) flavor of the beets. Ick.

But I do love the greens, sauteed with olive oil and garlic.

I'm a lurker (no kids yet) who joined the forum because I just had to reply to this thread, lol.

I love my beets roasted in the oven with EVOO and salt, but here is a great recipe if you would rather not taste your beets. ;) I made cupcakes instead of one large cake, and they turned out pretty well. I keep them in the freezer and pull a couple out every once in awhile, but if you have a lot of people around, I don't think they'll last long enough to make it into the freezer. I think my husband ate four the night I made them. :D

Back to lurkdom... :leaving: