Menu

Book a Week in 2009 *Week 30 - Book 31* Join in

Today starts Week 30 in the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks and should have you starting book # 31. The year is a bit more than half over and we are halfway towards our goal of reading 52 books for the year. Keep up the good work.

You may post your reviews, thoughts, reactions to the books you've read here or on the 52 Books in 52 Weeks Blog.

Books, books and more books - I love books. How about you guys. Of course you do. This week marks the 4th tuesday of the month which means its time for what's on your nightstand hosted by 5 minutes for books. Great site by the way - check it out frequently. They have great reviews on kids books.

My nightstand overfloweth this month with lots of interesting books. We've been in the midst of planning for 4th grade and I can't help ordering a few books for myself while ordering books for James. I have been reading a lot since we are on our summer break and I finally have some time for me. Plus I received quite a few review books in the past couple weeks which I'm very excited about. One I'm particularly excited about is

I+can+see+you.jpg

I discovered Karen Rose a couple years back and love her writing. So when the opportunity came up to review "I Can See You" for Hachette Books, I jumped on it. It will be released on August 5th so will be reading it soon and reviewing.

I'm also reading "Teaching the Trivium" by Harvey and Laurie Bluedorn which is chockful of tools for homeschooling, plus it contains a text of Dorothy Sayer's Lost Tools of Learning written back in 1947. Still very apropos to today and full of wisdom.

I received several books this month to review that I'm looking forward to reading including

by Preetham Grandhi

by Katarina Mazetti

by Laura Dave

by Deborah LeBlanc

by Thomas Greanias.

I'm a bit of a mood reader and there are so many books on my nightstand calling my name. I've been trying to work through the oldest first and trying not to buy too many new books. Looking at the books, it looks like I've managed to get through all the older ones, so now all the books are fair game now. OY! I was very good for a couple months and bought hardly anything at all. This month the temptation has been too hard to resist, especially when Amazon has their buy 3 and get the 4th one for free special offers.

To see what everyone else has been reading or planning to read, click on over to 5 minutes for books.

What books on your nightstand are calling your name this month?

Books 34 and 35 are Frank Herbert's Dune and Dune Messiah. My 14yo ds and I really enjoyed Dune, and as with many other books we've shared, loved being able to talk about it as we each read it. Dune Messiah didn't hold my interest as much, and he has decided to skip it.

On my nightstand, oh my, so many books waiting for me!

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan -- a fictional account of Frank Lloyd Wright. The font is so small that I'm a bit put off!

Genghis Khan: Life, Death, and Resurrection by John Man. I was in a Silk Road kick early this year and got sidetracked.

Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris. I figured I needed some fluff -- the book seller called "crack cocaine in a book"!

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe and The Little Book by Selden Edwards both impulse buys from Costco, to go along with the giant tube of Pub Mix snacks in my cart. The best part of summer is sitting by the pool in the late afternoon, sipping a Mojito, noshing on pub mix and reading! Haven't done it often enough!!

One last book is a fun find from last week's Comic-con. It is from the publishers that brought you Pride, Prejudice and Zombies, but this isn't quite so ghoulish. It is called An Interactive Sherlock Holmes Mystery: The Crimes of Dr. Watson. It is one of those books that has letters inside envelopes, and ticket stubs -- all the clues that should prove Dr. Watson innocent and spring him from jail.

Books 34 and 35 are Frank Herbert's Dune and Dune Messiah. My 14yo ds and I really enjoyed Dune, and as with many other books we've shared, loved being able to talk about it as we each read it. Dune Messiah didn't hold my interest as much, and he has decided to skip it.

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane by Katherine Howe and The Little Book by Selden Edwards both impulse buys from Costco, to go along with the giant tube of Pub Mix snacks in my cart.

Mercy, it's been years since I read the Dune series. Glad you are enjoying. I read The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane - Excellent. Look forward to hearing what you think about it.

I started reading "Under a Tin-Grey Sari" by Wayne Ashton, but it was so choppy I've given it up in preference for "An Acre of Barren Ground" by Jeremy Gavron. I've only got two pages into that though, so I can't really comment!. I discovered a very nice picture book too, "Keep Love in Your Heart, Little One" by Giles Andraeae and am going to buy it. It is the sort of book one ought to have around to remind one of how much they really do like their toddler...

Rosie- who really does like her toddler, when she (er, both of us) are in good moods.

I finished Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse books. They were definitely a lot of fun! I am kinda in withdrawal right now. I MISS ERIC!! :D

I don't know what I will read next. We'll see. A friend at work recommended I read Ishmael. Anybody have any thoughts on that book? I read the inside cover and it seems kinda weird.

Week 1: The Templars

Week 2: End of America

Week 3: Kluge

Week 4: Spook

Week 5: Panic in Level 4

Week 6: Killing the Imposter God

Week 7: Journeys to a Mythical Past

Week 8: Do Gentlemen Really Prefer Blonds?

Week 9: When Men Become Gods

Week 10: The Score

Week 11: More Harm Than Good

Week 12: The Unthinkable

Week 13: Deep Survival

Week 14: How Not to Die by Jan Garavaglia

Week 15: Web of Conspiracy & Secret Societies

Week 16: Marley & Me and Be the Pack Leader

Week 17: Cesar's Way

Week 18: TWTM again (new edition)

Week 19: The Great Pyramid

Week 20: The Survivors Club

Week 21: Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue

Week 22: Move Your Stuff, Change Your Life

Week 26: Jesus Papers.

Week 27: The Truth Behind the Da Vinci Code

Week 28: Beyond the Da Vinci Code

Week 29: The Triple Bind

Week 30: Why She Buys.

I think I may have read another but I forgot to write it down and I can't remember right now. I have too many books and too little time, especially since I am in the middle of major decluttering and redecorating. I am trying to get everything in order before school starts.

This week I read The Big Sort: Why the Clustering of Like-Minded America is Tearing Us Apart by Bill Bishop, a look at the cultural and political dynamics of lifestyle segregation. It was a fascinating read that left me wanting to add some rainbow colours to the kids' election maps...or at least some burnt orange, magenta, cyan and indigo.

I am currently reading Nixonland:The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America by Rick Perlstein, which is so wickedly engaging that it's crying out for multi-coloured highlighting and margin notes. I have therefore added it to my Christmas list...a little present for me, and a big present for the library. ;)