Menu

CW: What grammar book should I use with it?

tdeveson

I've been looking at the CW and I really like what I see. My son (10) is starting fifth grade and I've figured out that the right place to start him is on Aesop, workbook B.

What grammar course do you suggest? CW recommends an old classic book, but I didn't like it so I'm looking for alternatives that will complement CW.

I would appreciate any ideas.

Thanks.

I'm using CW Aesop B with my 5th and 4th grader as well. We will be using R&S for Grammar, but we will do it mostly orally. Our latin will also cement in grammar concepts. For anything they may be having trouble with we will do R&S worksheets with. R&S is a wonderfully thorough program, and I feel can be done orally in the younger grades. Just my opinion though!

Toni,

I dropped the grammar in CW and did Junior Analytical Grammar intead, mostly because I am bad at grammar and while they always have the answers for the main grammar topic covered that week, then often tell you to do some review and don't give you answers. :glare:

With Homer my oldest is doing Analytical Grammar at half pace. So far so good.

Heather

p.s. Had Harvey's and it just didn't click with me.

LizzyBee and Snickerdoodle-any downsides to using Harvey's with it? I heard it had some archaic terminology?

I thought it would just be easier to use Harvey's too since it's scheduled but wondering if any downsides.

I am watching this thread too to see what everyone is using!

LizzyBee and Snickerdoodle-any downsides to using Harvey's with it? I heard it had some archaic terminology?

I thought it would just be easier to use Harvey's too since it's scheduled but wondering if any downsides.

I am watching this thread too to see what everyone is using!

There are a few things that are taught a little differently than in modern grammar. For ex, in the sentence Mary is a teacher, Harvey's teaches that "a teacher" is the predicate and "is" is the copula. Modern grammar books teach that "is a teacher" is the predicate and "is" is a linking verb.

When I used R&S with my oldest dd, we constantly referred to Harvey's because I wanted her to do the word parsing, etc. that is included in the CW workbooks and taught in Harvey's but not R&S. So it's easier to just use Harvey's with my middle dd, but when we come across the older terminology, I explain it in modern terms too.

I'm struggling with the same decision. I like the idea of streamlining things by using Harvey's, but I like the ease of use that I can get with other programs.

So if you do use Harvey's, do you use the companion Workbooks and Teacher's Guide/Answer Key that the CW authors have written? I've seen the samples that are available, but I just can't get a feel for how much information is included (info to help you understand and teach the lesson).

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any input.

Melissa

I'm struggling with the same decision. I like the idea of streamlining things by using Harvey's, but I like the ease of use that I can get with other programs.

So if you do use Harvey's, do you use the companion Workbooks and Teacher's Guide/Answer Key that the CW authors have written? I've seen the samples that are available, but I just can't get a feel for how much information is included (info to help you understand and teach the lesson).

Hope that makes sense. Thanks for any input.

Melissa

We don't. We keep a notebook as described in CW Homer and we do the exercises in the CW (writing, not grammar) workbooks. If we do the exercises in Harvey's, we do them orally.

Does anyone know what the difference is between Harvey's Elementary Grammar and Composition and Harvey's Revised English Grammar?

Also, I'm still waiting for my CW books, but I take it from previous posts that the CW Aesop includes assignments from Harvey's. Is this correct? If so, how hard is it to adapt to another grammar program?

Thanks.

Also, I'm still waiting for my CW books, but I take it from previous posts that the CW Aesop includes assignments from Harvey's. Is this correct? If so, how hard is it to adapt to another grammar program?

Thanks.

No. CW doesn't add Harvey's until Homer. They recommend going through The Complete Book of Diagrams concurrently with CW Aesop B.

I'm still dithering on what to do w/ B & T. I plan on using WT2 with them this year and then move on to CW Homer. I haven't decided whether to go through the Diagrams this year and then do Harvey's or stick with Growing With Grammar. Right now I'm leaning toward GWG, as the boys are used to it. :)

yslek-can you comment on how it's going using GWG with CW? Can you give us an idea of how you do it? Do you use CW and then go to GWG to explain the topics as they come up in GWG? Or just go straight through both? Or something else?

(I don't think that would be OT from the OP's question since she wondered what other grammar is being used with CW.) Thanks.