Menu

are teacher manuals necessary in lower grades?

I have found that they make thing a whole lot easier. For example, I use Spelling Workout and they are not necessary. I buy them because every once in a while you come across a question that makes you wonder what they are looking for. They have suggestions in the front of the book on how to teach spelling using their books. They have 2 sentences written for each spelling word. Sometimes, it is nice not to have to think.:001_huh: KWIM

May I ask why you chose Voyages in Enlish over Rod & Staff?

I used these for my first dc. The teachers manual is really essential. It gives lots of instruction and also more excercises for you can use. It turns you into an english teacher!

That said, I am using Shurley English now and used FLL with my youngest. I really liked FLL as it helped me do dictatiion and narration, sctivities that i didn't do with VOE or Shurley. I knew it was important and tried to include it but it was random and I was glad to have more direction.

Good luck!

P.S. I switched from VOE because it was very classroom based and even thugh we often enjoyed pretending we were a classroom, I prefer the results from Shurley. My older children say that the younger ones missed out on instructions of how to answer the telephone and introduce people!