Menu

Stains on laundry

For awhile now I see what looks like grease stains on all our clothes after washing/drying. I don't see the stains after just washing because the clothes are wet. It is not until they are dry that I see the stains. I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to get rid of them.

I've switched detergents.

I started washing everything in warm or hot water (hello higher electric bill)

I do not use fabric softner or dryer sheets.

Do I need to use more detergent? I use less than 1/4 c for liquid or about 1 TB for powder.

My clothes are getting ruined from these annoying "grease" stains!

For awhile now I see what looks like grease stains on all our clothes after washing/drying. I don't see the stains after just washing because the clothes are wet. It is not until they are dry that I see the stains. I'm going nuts trying to figure out how to get rid of them.

Do I need to use more detergent? I use less than 1/4 c for liquid or about 1 TB for powder.

:bigear: I have the same problem but no solution! I'm hoping someone out there knows how to get rid of them. I have a front loader washer, and only use a little bit of detergent but it's what it recommended for the washer. I thought it might be the yucky buildup that gets in a front loader that was causing these but I have cleaned the washer multiple times and still see them. For us it's kind of random...not necessarily every load and not every piece of clothing in the load but often enough that it's annoying and also ruining a lot of clothes.

If you have a front loader the stains are most likely caused from mold buildup. There is a product called Affresh that helps with this. It comes as a package of 3 "pucks" that are, as I understand it, strong oxidizers. You run the washer on hot with just the puck. If your washer already has significant buildup, you can run 3 pucks consecutively. The first one loosens the buildup behind the seal, and you can more easily wipe it out. Then run the other 2. Then once a month after that will keep the buildup away. I have been really pleased with the results.

Lawana

:bigear: I have the same problem but no solution! I'm hoping someone out there knows how to get rid of them. I have a front loader washer, and only use a little bit of detergent but it's what it recommended for the washer. I thought it might be the yucky buildup that gets in a front loader that was causing these but I have cleaned the washer multiple times and still see them. For us it's kind of random...not necessarily every load and not every piece of clothing in the load but often enough that it's annoying and also ruining a lot of clothes.

Exactly.

If you have a front loader the stains are most likely caused from mold buildup. There is a product called Affresh that helps with this. It comes as a package of 3 "pucks" that are, as I understand it, strong oxidizers. You run the washer on hot with just the puck. If your washer already has significant buildup, you can run 3 pucks consecutively. The first one loosens the buildup behind the seal, and you can more easily wipe it out. Then run the other 2. Then once a month after that will keep the buildup away. I have been really pleased with the results.

Lawana

Really? I hadn't heard that. So how do I know if I have mold buildup? I leave the door open at all times when not in use. I also to the "clean washer" cycle with hot water and bleach once a month.

Really? I hadn't heard that. So how do I know if I have mold buildup?

Pull back the rubber seal and look on the drum area concealed by the seal. Not just at the bottom where you check for socks, etc., but all the way around. If there is a layer of "gunk," that is mold buildup.

I leave the door open at all times when not in use. I also to the "clean washer" cycle with hot water and bleach once a month.

I also left the door open every time and used bleach, but still got the mold.

Mold buildup is the weak spot of front loaders. I wish the manufacturers would either change the design, or give better info on how to deal with it.

Lawana

Mold buildup is the weak spot of front loaders. I wish the manufacturers would either change the design, or give better info on how to deal with it.

Lawana

Ok, I see some gunk. Not a lot, but it's there. I'll have to look for Affresh. I wonder what's in it.

Lawana

I use the Affresh. I did the 3 pucks first and then have done one puck a month for the past 6-7 months. It helped a lot with the buildup but not the stains. Although, it's possible that there is buildup it's not getting or I can't see.

Lawana

You leave the door open. By design, the door has to seal water-tight, otherwise it would dribble on the floor (which mine has done with a single hair hanging out through the seal). I get "gunk" (dog hair, lint, etc) in the seal, but not mold. I just wipe it out periodically and always leave the door open between loads.

For the OP, I am sorry to say I have no solution for you. But I can say that I have extremely hot tap water (about 180F) and that doesn't seem to have any impact on whether we get those annoying spots (which seem completely random and happened with the top loader, too) so I wouldn't recommend jacking up your electric bill.