Menu

Has anyone used History Pockets?

dangermom

My kids loved them. Absolutely *loved* all that cutting, coloring and pasting. ;) *I* loved not having to think or plan or be involved with it in any way. :)

I do think they're very well done. They're clear, attractive... But it depends on whether your child enjoys doing paper crafts.

It's certainly not a deeply efficient use of school time. But for kids who enjoy that kind of thing, it makes the subject more fun. So we have done History Pockets (and portions of pockets) off and on through the years, generally as "after school" type fun stuff. It's not the meat and potatoes. It's more like the rolls and jam off to the side... :)

My kids loved them. Absolutely *loved* all that cutting, coloring and pasting. ;) *I* loved not having to think or plan or be involved with it in any way. :)

I do think they're very well done. They're clear, attractive... But it depends on whether your child enjoys doing paper crafts.

It's certainly not a deeply efficient use of school time. But for kids who enjoy that kind of thing, it makes the subject more fun. So we have done History Pockets (and portions of pockets) off and on through the years, generally as "after school" type fun stuff. It's not the meat and potatoes. It's more like the rolls and jam off to the side... :)

Same here, though I have hands on learners. My kids also adore Donald Silver paper crafts, and we spend a lot of time making paper models or working with paper dolls.

Heather

We did the Ancients one, and dc enjoyed it, but they are craft nuts to begin with. For some reason the craft-stick puppets were a huge hit here - they still ask to play with them sometimes. I think the "postcard" part is a good way to review, kind of like a narration.

Definately depends on the child. I thought they looked cute and fun. DS, at the time was 6, didn't see the point. He asked "So why did we put these people on sticks?"....umm, I dunno!. So you see, the previous family loved the stick people, my family not so much....all depends on the child.

For what ages would you recommend them? One of my kids is crafty and the other one is emphatically NOT.

There are different sets - some marked 1-3rd grades, others marked 4-6th grades. We did the Ancients set (in the 1-3 category) with a 5/6yo (turned 6 somewhere in the middle) with no problems, but she's a strong reader. Even the then-3-yo could do some of the coloring/cutting parts.

There are different sets - some marked 1-3rd grades, others marked 4-6th grades. ....

The main difference between the sets is the quantity of writing expected (one sentence at a time, max, and not many in the 1-3 level; a paragraph at a time and some amount of writing on most projects in the 4-6 level) and the quantity of reading (there is more detail in the older level stuff). Either set is adaptable, especially in a home school environment. So pick the one that looks like it fits what you're studying or your kids' interest best.

There are different sets - some marked 1-3rd grades, others marked 4-6th grades. We did the Ancients set (in the 1-3 category) with a 5/6yo (turned 6 somewhere in the middle) with no problems, but she's a strong reader. Even the then-3-yo could do some of the coloring/cutting parts.

The main difference between the sets is the quantity of writing expected (one sentence at a time, max, and not many in the 1-3 level; a paragraph at a time and some amount of writing on most projects in the 4-6 level) and the quantity of reading (there is more detail in the older level stuff). Either set is adaptable, especially in a home school environment. So pick the one that looks like it fits what you're studying or your kids' interest best.

Thank you both. I looked at these a few years ago for my son, but he's the NOT crafty one. My dd adores paper, scissors, glue, tape, crayons, markers, etc. to an almost obsessive degree and I think I may have to look for more stuff like this...and maybe lapbooks...for her in upcoming years. This year I'm doing Oak Meadow because it's one of those years I needed a pick up and go plan. But I'm fairly sure next year we're all doing ancients together so these would be perfect.

Mine hate cutting and pasting but I liked the History Pockets so what we did was I prepared the stuff and the kids just finished it. It kept things moving along and the kids didn't get bored. I didn't mind the cutting and preparing. I just did it while I watched TV. The children really did learn with the Pockets.