Menu

Which calculator for Chalkdust Prealgebra?

I recommend the TI 30 or TI 34 series. We have the TI-30XIIS (solar) and the TI 34X. Both have multi-line displays that actually SHOW the steps that the student types in.

These are the only calculators I recommend through Algebra 2.

Cost is about $15 and if you look around they come in neat neon colors too! (makes them easier to find).

• 3 weeks later...

DD is just about through with Saxon 87, and it has come up once or twice, but I have not allowed her to use them except for one really long iterative calculation (annually compounding interest over a lot of years.) She's not that strong in math, and I have thought that the calculator would lull her into thinking that she's finished when she really has gone off on a tangent.

I let my students use a calculator at the Pre-Algebra level for solving problems that are more than one step--meaning complex calculations. The students have to know what to do with the numbers in order to solve the problem--and if that is what I am testing then they can use a calculator.

If I am testing how well they can manually work a computation (long division, multiplication of multi-digits or decimals...) then they must do that work by hand.

At the Algebra 1 level I allow my students to use a calculator for percents and complex decimals and some radicals/roots. Most of the time they will NOT be using a calculator. I don't like them to use it for basic work--but again if it is a multi-step problem then I don't mind as much--the calculator will only help if they plug in the correct numbers and the correct opperation!

Again I like the multi-line display calculators--Wal-Mart has the ones I like for $12 this week...

I got one of the TI 30 series from Target. I will not have her use it for day to day use but the book I have does have some sections where it is starting to show her how to do things on the scientific calculators. I do want her to know how to use one but she has to do all her lessons by hand.

The one I bought was $13.00 and it was pink..:001_smile: so she is happy.

Thank you all for the advice

I have a gifted daughter in math. I let her use a calculator. My problem is that while she is gifted in math, she doesn't like it. I know the reason is arithmetic so I am not stressing that and encouraging her to focus on higher level math ideas. SHe does have her arithmetic down and that is why I no longer feel a need to stop calculators.