Menu

Do you allow your child to have "open book" Saxon Math test?

creekmom

My 5th grader will be doing Saxon 7/6 this year, and in the past, I've always allowed him to look at his notes for the tests. Now I'm wondering if that is a bad idea. I'm thinking maybe it's time he started studying for his tests..:001_huh: If your students use Saxon, you know the tests have a lot of information on them (not a mastery situation with only one concept to study). What do you think?

My 5th grader will be doing Saxon 7/6 this year, and in the past, I've always allowed him to look at his notes for the tests. Now I'm wondering if that is a bad idea. I'm thinking maybe it's time he started studying for his tests..:001_huh: If your students use Saxon, you know the tests have a lot of information on them (not a mastery situation with only one concept to study). What do you think?

My oldest is a 5th grader and he just started 7/6 as well. I've never let mine use notes or books, nor have I ever had them study. I give them the test, grade it, give it back and have them redo any missed problems (they tend to make the careless mistakes :glare:). If they still miss any, we go back over the lesson and they correct the problem.

My oldest is a 5th grader and he just started 7/6 as well. I've never let mine use notes or books, nor have I ever had them study. I give them the test, grade it, give it back and have them redo any missed problems (they tend to make the careless mistakes :glare:). If they still miss any, we go back over the lesson and they correct the problem.

:iagree:My ds just finished 7/6 for 5th grade. We handle testing and regular work the same way as JudoMom.

Sure, go ahead and let him do open book test.

Then the next day, give him the same test, see how many he can do from No Notes. When he's done what he can, let him finish the rest Open Book

Then the next day, same thing.......See how many he can get correct with No Notes, and then let him finish the rest Open Book.

One day he will be able to do them No Notes.

Or just omit the tests altogether.

We used no Saxon tests. ;)

:seeya:

G

Edited by Moni

I guess I'll be an oddball. I am not currently using Saxon but we'll be going back to it in about 2 months. When my son was using 5/4 I let him do "open book" tests. We chose to go this route because we think a it's a good thing to practice finding the information if you don't know the answer. If you're not sure how to do something it's important to know where to go to get those answers. He is not allowed to ask me for more than simple clarification, for example if his word problem has a word in it that he's never heard he can ask me what the word means, but the math has to be done on his own. My son tends to take copious amounts of notes when doing his math lessons in a notebook that we gave him so he's allowed to use that too. Most times he doesn't even look at the book or notes because all the note taking seems to help things stick.

I guess whether it's a good idea all depends on your style.