Menu

My dog may have killed a squirrel

My kids found a dead squirrel which is bleeding from it's side and mouth near our driveway. It would have been our dog. It could have been a hawk (seen a bunch around lately) or an owl. If might have fallen from a tree, though it's full grown.

What should I do? My dog is current on all his shots, but should I call animal control about having it tested for rabbies? I guess I am just thinking that there must have been something wrong with it to get caught in the first place?

Or am I being stupid? Should I just bury it somewhere and forget about it?

If your dog has had shots, it should be fine, and it can't be transmitted to a human unless your dog actually contracts it.

If you are concerned at all, you can have the squirrel tested. Just call a local vet and they should tell you what you need to do.

FWIW, my dogs kill small wild animals a lot and we have never had a problem.

I'd call my dog over, pat him on the head, and say "Goo'boy....oooohh, yes! What a goo'boy you are!" :D

Do you think maybe the squirrel could also have been hit by a car and dragged into the driveway by your dog...or are there no cars going past (don't laugh -- our former house was at the end of a dead end road, so there really were no cars to speak of)?

It's fine. Really. I wouldn't worry.

Doran

tapeworm - you get this by swallowing fleas. If his stools look like they have rice in them - or if you find amber colored "sesame seed" looking things where your dog sleeps, those would be the signs (obviously this would take a while to develop). Non transferable to people (anyone has to swallow a flea to catch) and one dose of meds to cure - not a big deal but kind of gross.

You must have a fast dog! Mine caught a chipmunk last summer - he was so pleased with himself. Ick!

I'd call my dog over, pat him on the head, and say "Goo'boy....oooohh, yes! What a goo'boy you are!" :D

It's fine. Really. I wouldn't worry.

Doran

Amen! Then we give the good dog a treat while one of the youngsters gets a shovel to go dispose of the dead critter. If we don't, then dog might eat it....well, most of it. He usually leaves the head and tail for "yard trophies." And then, a few weeks later, we get to worm the dog when he starts dragging his butt across the carpet. It's much more pleasant to just dispose of the ground squirrels (which is the only type we "allow" him to chase. They are a first class nuisance around here. If he is chasing a pretty tree squirrel we root for the squirrel.)

Before anyone blasts me for encouraging the dog to chase the squirrels, please read the link above, live on a ground squirrel infested property for a few months, and then you are free to blast away. Thank you. :D

Well, I'm a pushover. I actually put food out for squirrels. I BUY squirrel food. Hows that for frugal?

But you all are reminding me of the time I lived with a woman whose spaniel killed a squirrel in a neighbor's yard. I saw him! I knew the people had young children, and I got a shovel right away so I could get rid of the evidence before the kids saw it and got upset. But I was too late. The Mom pulled up in a van, the kids got out, they watched a minute, and then one said, "Mom, why is that lady killing a squirrel?"

and I think I could tell the difference between them. Sorry for the stupid questions! :o

Not a stupid question! I don't think I ever noticed until we moved here and had them digging under all of our foundations, chewing up our vehicles' (yes, plural vehicles) wiring, chewing through plastic trash cans to get chicken feed, gnawing on the water pipes under the house, digging huge holes all over all yard...

The gray tree squirrels are gorgeous. We actually get to see some now that the dog has thinned out the ground squirrels. The ground squirrels will climb trees, but if the dog is chasing them their best bet is to make for the nearest hole. If he trees them he'll stay there and bark until we show up with an air rifle. They are rats with fluffy tails. No more.