Menu

Good easy readable source for history of science?

I'm looking to supplement high school science with a good overview history of science that is easily readable for 8-10th grade. I have several that have short bios, but I want something just about the philosophies of their times and how it effected science (impeded or promoted). I do have Gamow's book about physisists, but in my opinion, it is not very readable unless you have completed high school physics.

Any thoughts?

Roy Gallant also has written many books about the history of science. He writes for middle school and up. Each of his books is about the development of a single idea. For example, "The Ever Changing Atom" is about nuclear physics.

If you enjoy Isaac Asimov you will like Gallant.

I think his books are comparable if not better than Hakim's because he writes at a higher level, he doesn't try to be "chatty" in his writing and he doesn't jump around in the narrative like Hakim does (in my opinion). His books aren't glossy and pretty like the Hakim series is though.

Another book that my son has enjoyed me reading out loud is

"The Ancient Engineers"

A History of Classical Physics

Since the latter has no description I'll type out what it says on the inside flap,

"A History of Classical Physics describes how ideas in physics evolved, from the Golden Age of ancient Greece to the end of the nineteenth century, when quantum theory began to take shape and take hold. JD Bernal shows how important advances in physics have coincided with important social developments---the Agricultural and Industrial Revolutions, for example, The books discusses in detail such physicists as Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, and Newton, and explores their contribution to an evolving worldview. Topics examined inlcude the birth of dynamics, the properties of light and color, the development of the steam engine, the thoery of heat, and the nature of electricity and magnetism.

This book is written at the level of high school seniors/college freshman (apprehensible by my son if we stop and talk along the way) and is a transcript of a series of lectures given to first year students at a college where JD Bernal taught. It is not at all dry and technical.

Debbie,

I have two suggestions for you.

One is an OOP book called "Visions that Shaped the Universe" by Joseph L. Spradley.

The other is the two sets of "History of Science" lectures done by the Teaching Company.

History of Science: Antiquity to 1700 (Lawrence Principe)

This is one of my favorite lecturers/series done by the Teaching Company. It is fabulous! It is not, however, on sale at the moment, so you would want to wait to purchase it (or find it at your local library).

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1200&pc=Science%20and%20Mathematics

History of Science: 1700-1900 is on sale right now.

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1210&pc=Science%20and%20Mathematics

I have been using Hakim's "Story of Science" with my 11yo, and, while I like it in some respects, I have become increasingly dissatisfied with it in the long run. I can't even put my finger on just what it is that I don't like about it. But whatever it is, it makes me think this might not be the best choice for an 8th-10th grader.

Tina in Ouray, CO

History of Science: Antiquity to 1700 (Lawrence Principe)

This is one of my favorite lecturers/series done by the Teaching Company. It is fabulous! It is not, however, on sale at the moment, so you would want to wait to purchase it (or find it at your local library).

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursede...%20Mathematics

This is FABULOUS! My library even has it. The instructor loves his topic, and his enthusiasm shows in his presentation. I found the history of the science fascinating as well.

Our library is also pretty good about ordering Teaching Co stuff. I buy quite a few as well. :)

I discovered Steven Goldman last year, and I am enjoying his lectures immensely. His undergrad degree is in physics; his masters and Ph.D. are in philosophy. A perfect combo for me for studying science as a philosophical pursuit of man. This set has really helped me to see scientific advances in a new light - both driven by man and a driver of mankind.

It may not be the best way to approach this subject if you are looking to "hit all of the big guys in science" though. It is not strictly a survey course, although he is moving chronologically.

Great Scientific Ideas that Changed the World:

http://www.teach12.com/ttcx/coursedesclong2.aspx?cid=1120

Like Vandiver, Noble, Dalton, and so many others, it takes me a while to get through each lecture. He isn't as smooth a lecturer as the others, but I suspect its because his brain is just sorting so, so much as he speaks. The ideas are big, and so it takes a while for him to nail down his point. But he does an EXCELLENT job of it. The reason it takes me forever to work through each lecture is because I'm constantly running for another resource. He sparks ideas and questions in me. And each answer tends to lead to the next question. I rewind. I listen again. Two hours later I pull myself away. I've listened to 15 minutes. I'm not plowing through the lectures, but I'm growing. I'll get there. :)

So if you are looking for just a survey, I would probably stick with the other courses mentioned, but you might want to tuck Goldman into your "future prospects" list. He consolidates so many ideas into a hub from which you can launch your studies of "why."

Peace,

Janice in NJ

Enjoy your little people

Enjoy your journey

Funny story about Joy Hakim's Story of Science series-- somehow, when the first book came out, I saw her email address somehow, and sent her a fan letter about her project, before it was published, because we had enjoyed her History of US books. Anyway, she responded very politely to me, and sent me a complimentary copy of her book when it came out! Then, when the remaining two volumes were published, she also sent those to me! Isn't that nice.

Now I'm having my ds write a review of the series, since he really likes those kinds of books. Great!