Menu

Hake and CLE LA

Mom0012

Can anyone compare these for me? If I am understanding these programs, it seems they both take an incremental approach in teaching grammar and they are both written to the student to do independently. The impression I'm getting is that Hake may have a lot more practice than CLE. Is this true?

I had already decided to use R&S 3 with my 4th grader this year, but now I just discovered Hake and I'm curious. I had decided against CLE because I suspected there wouldn't be enough practice for him. Grammar is definitely a weakness. If I used Hake 5, I would either stretch it out over 2 years or I would wait another year to begin.

Also, is Hake a textbook or a workbook?

Thanks in advance!

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I'd like to hear responses, too.

Hake is a HUGE spiral-bound "workbook." If I were to use it, I'd tear the pages out so it would be less overwhelming for dc. I think Hake is only English Grammar.

CLE LA includes the whole range of "English" topics ("Language Arts")... grammar, spelling, writing, usage, etc.

Hopefully someone else can help answer your other questions.

From what I've researched. Hake is JUST grammar. CLE has grammer, spelling, writing , usage etc like the poster above me stated.

CLE has plenty of review. It really does. My oldest didn't have much grammar instruction until this year. We used Calvert so they didn't start with real grammar instruction until 4th grade. There was no real review so she didn't even remember what she learned.

Fastforward I began with CLE's 300 Level Grammar. This seems to be when CLE gets down with the nitty gritty of Grammar instruction. My daughter did only 3 of the Light Units because we started homeschooling on our own in Feburary so we didn't have much time left in the school year. But what she did learn from just those three she scored at a 4.8 on her standardized test.

I had used Rod and Staff with her and it didn't work well but after three Light Units of CLE's 300 level LA and she scored that high! Granted she was 5th grade but coming with very little grammar instruction I think that is excellent.

She needed the spiral approach to grammar. Just simply telling her what a noun was and doing a page of exercises and then moving on to the next topic just didn't do it for her. Granted she is my child that thrives off of mastery math. LOL.

Honestly the Light Units continually review concepts and concepts from the previous year as well in the review sections. Plus I like the set up of the CLE LU's anyways. The workbooks are small so the children aren't overwhelmed and they feel a sense of accomplishement.

Really in the end its your decision. My suggestion if you do decide on CLE I would suggest starting with the 300 level and work your way up from there.

Tracy -

That's very helpful. I've been all set to use Rod & Staff grammar, but then I keep reading how good the retention is with Hake and started wondering if that approach wouldn't be better. My son uses Rod & Staff for math and definitely needs a mastery approach. I was thinking because he's done so well with the math, the english would work well for him, but I keep hearing mixed reviews on that. Your comments make me wonder if CLE would be better after all.

I've been using CLE 200 with my daughter and we're on Lightunit 4. At first, I didn't think she was going to retain with this program, because new topics are touched on so lightly when first introduced, but she is actually doing well. I just haven't been thinking it would be enough for a child like my son who struggles and needs lots of practice.

Maybe I'll give CLE a try this year and if he doesn't do well, I'll think about trying Hake next year. Hake doesn't have a 4th grade book anyway, so I would have tried to stretch the 5th grade book over 2 years if we went that route. CLE seems like it is easier to implement and less cumbersome than Hake, so it would be nice if it worked for him.

Thank you!

Lisa

Edited by LisaTheresa

I haven't used either program, but I've read the topical contents and sample lesson for Hake. I'd love to be able to see the entire book to see how things are covered, but it does cover more than just grammar. It also covers writing, has a tiny amount on spelling, and has vocabulary within each lesson as well. It seems to cover grammar thoroughly, and I love that it covers diagramming within grammar.

You can look at the topical contents and writing lessons here:

http://grammar.cc/?content=lookinside

and a sample lesson here:

http://grammar.cc/bigimage6.php?img=b6_168

We're doing CLE LA1 and LA2 and it is plenty. If those lessons had any more pages to 'em, my kids wouldn't be able to get through it. It is pretty comprehensive, too. It has spelling words, penmanship, little quizes, grammar rules, grammar exercises and a lot of fill-in-the-blank using vocabulary words.

From what I've researched. Hake is JUST grammar.

Hake actually comes with a separate writing program. And there are several lessons at the end of each book on spelling, but not enough for a complete spelling program. They also cover vocabulary.

Hake actually comes with a separate writing program. And there are several lessons at the end of each book on spelling, but not enough for a complete spelling program. They also cover vocabulary.
Yes, it's actually called Hake Grammar & Writing. So it even has writing in it's title. :001_smile: