Menu

What color should I paint my living room?

The kitchen is this color or lime green, and the hallway and schoolroom are kind of this color - maybe a bit more yellow (it is the color of winnie the pooh). Those two colors will be seen from that room. There are hardwood floors and white trim through the entire house, and all of our furniture is black. We moved in with the above mentioned colors on the walls...used to feel neutral about them, now LOVE them! I just need to do something to the entrance/living room to give it a "wow" color like the other rooms....it is light-yellow-blah right now. Thoughts? No red. Please do not suggest red. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks!

Hmmmm....generally, I would have said to keep the fruit theme and go with a red or yellow. Maybe a bright yellow? But that doesn't seem very family room-ish to me.

What about Behr's Liquid blue? I have a booklet with a room that color. The furniture and trim are black and white. It's a bright blue.

Like can't you see a room with the blue from this pic being next to this room? 1-colorful-green-living-room-kit0507-xlg.jpg

I think a really creamy color with a touch of yellow would look nice with the colors in your other rooms. Not too light, like a standard builder's off-white, but darker. It makes me think "old world." I'm searching for that color for my dining room. The sherwin williams site has a color selection visualizer that's nice. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/index.html "Peace Yellow" is sort of what I'm talking about. Or Belvedere Cream.

Edited by gardening momma

I think a really creamy color with a touch of yellow would look nice with the colors in your other rooms. Not too light, like a standard builder's off-white, but darker. It makes me think "old world." I'm searching for that color for my dining room. The sherwin williams site has a color selection visualizer that's nice. http://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/index.html "Peace Yellow" is sort of what I'm talking about. Or Belvedere Cream.

I would tend to go this direction, too. Then you could get bright pillows with some of the green and yellow-orange that you can see from that room. You could use all sorts of things to tie everything together.

I am currently finishing all the reworking of all our rooms. Our house was covered in wallpaper that was at least 20 years old. None of the rooms went with each other, not even close. It was really bad. Our formal living room wallpaper is nice and somewhat elegant, but all the clashing things that you could see from that room was truly disturbing. I wanted a relaxing and peaceful room. What type of atmosphere do you want? It sounds like you are on the bold side. I think it is nice to mix things up a bit; you could have some really bold walls in a couple of rooms then have a room with quieter walls and louder decorations in the room. Besides a room that is simpler on the walls lets you change the decor a lot without having to paint again. After all my painting, I am not wanting to paint again any time soon, although it will be SOOO much easier next time without all the wallpaper removal.

Another color that could work is a nice rich brown, but it would need to be just the right color and not too dark, so that your black furniture could still pop. You could still throw in those bright pillows and it would look like a fall scene!