Menu

Saxon teacher cd or DIVE cd?

I have been trying to read about the Saxon teacher and the DIVE cd...they both say they teach a lesson, but the teacher also has all the problems worked out as well as the test problems. Are the lecture/lesson parts fairly similar? I don't want to buy the teacher cd and then find out that the DIVE cd has a more thoroughly presented lesson.

thanks for your help!

Kirsten

Kristen--

I don't have an answer but I'd like to hear from someone who has an opinion on this as well. After reading all of the reviews, I'm sending back my Abeka for my 4th grader and going with Saxon.

Can someone offer an opinion as to which one you recommend? DIVE CD or Saxon Teacher?

Thanks,

Carolyn

I wish I could help... I've only used DIVE. We used it every now and then to review something that I wanted to review, but in a "different format" so he wouldn't be bored of it. The segments are brief and helpful, and refer to the book, but I never really used it as the main lessons, though I guess you could. (My son and I love math, so I prefer to be the teacher and do lots of discussion with him).

it has the lesson lecture, all problems are worked out for student to see including tests (at least that's how the Algebra 1 works).

I don't believe any of the levels are interactive, however. Just lessons and solutions to watch, which we prefer.

The teacher also often gives extra example problems besides the ones in the book.

hth,

Robin

I just ordered the Teaching Tapes from Teaching Tape Technology. My daughter will use them for Saxon 5/4. It's pricey but since this is our first year homeschooling and Math isn't her favorite subject, I think it will be better to have someone else initially explain the math. There is a sample on their website and she is very positive. I'll let you know how it goes!

Carolyn

The teacher also often gives extra example problems besides the ones in the book.

Preface: We have never used DIVE. DS1 is the only child in our family to use Saxon through. He has been an A student throughout all his math levels -- just doing each lesson, requiring no help from me generally. He is currently in "Advanced Math".

And he was / is suffering! The written instruction in this particular book is poor -- especially given what he's become accustomed to over the years with Saxon.

So, we bought the Saxon Teacher CD.

For this particular book, that CD purchase was a massive waste of money!

There is absolutely no further instruction on the CD than what is in the book. The teacher on the CD hasn't thrown out any additional problems other than what is in the book. . .and we have the solutions guide, so I don't need the CD for that.

Now, after about 20 / 30 lessons we stopped watching / listening to the CD, (and we didn't start watching till around lesson 40 in the book which is when he ran into problems), so maybe it's done in some of the other lessons.

We then tried to tutor route. We can't find anyone that will work with Saxon in the upper levels. . .

We are at lesson 80 now. . .just shoot me, and put me out of my misery!

• 8 months later...

My 6th grade son has used the DIVE Cd's since 4th grade. They have done the job, but as he is getting older, it doesn't seem to be quite enough. He is not always understanding the lessons thoroughly. I homeschool 4, so I don't have a lot of time to spend with him on his work. Therefore, we are going to try the Saxon teacher CD's next year, (for 8/7) because when he gets a problem wrong, or doesn't understand something, he can go to individual problems to see them worked out. To me, this will be worth its weight in gold!

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...