Menu

Need a book idea for ancient history / lit

dd is 14 - do you allow her to read adult books?

I can't think of another book on the reading level of Henty which covers the Exodus.

there are some other 'logic level' books which I like for Egypt, though they do not specifically cover the Exodus - Mara, daughter of the Nile. Golden Goblet. His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut. there is also tirzah, which does cover the period of the exodus, but i have not read this.

Then there is an adult book - Hippopotamus Marsh by Pauline Gedge. It has been several years since I have read it and I cannot remember if there is anything inappropriate in it. I think not, as I think I recommended it at the time to a way more conservative friend for her older daughter. I LOVED this book. It is very accurate in its history (driving out the hyksos). it is the first part of a trilogy.

hope you find something that works for you and your daughter.

It sounds like you are looking specifically for an Ancient Egyptian book (as that is the setting of Cat of Bubastis). How about:

- God King (Williamson) -- gr. 5-8 reading level; late kingdom period; much of it set in ancient Palestine

- Shadow Hawk (Norton) -- gr. 8-adult reading level; late kingdom period

- Tales of Ancient Egyptian (Green) -- gr. 6-adult reading level; ancient Egyptian myths and folktales

- Riddle of Rosetta Stone: Key to Ancient Egypt (Giblin) -- fascinating non-fiction

- The 5,000-Year-Old Puzzle: Solving a Mystery of Ancient Egypt (Logan)

Egpytomania.org: Ancient Egypt in fiction for young adults:

http://www.egyptomania.org/aef/Egyptkdz.html

If you are looking for something that falls anywhere within the ancient world, check out the lists Susan Wise Bauer has on this site:

- Academic Excellence, gr. 5-8 (scroll down about halfway for a big list of specific works under the heading "READ"):

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/academic-excellence-grades-5-8/

- Academic Excellence, gr. 9-12 (scroll down about halfway for a big list of specific works under the heading "GREAT BOOKS" and then "9th GRADE"):

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/academic-excellence-grades-9-12/

there are some other 'logic level' books which I like for Egypt, though they do not specifically cover the Exodus - Mara, daughter of the Nile. Golden Goblet. His Majesty, Queen Hatshepsut. there is also tirzah, which does cover the period of the exodus, but i have not read this.

We just finished reading Mara last month as a readaloud. We couldn't put it down!!! It was very visual, the conversations were witty, and the characters were really well fleshed out. It would make a terrific movie... :) Can spark a lot of interest in Hatshepsut and Thutmose and that era.