Menu

Wordly Wise - do you like?

chontaveal

We like it, it has been successful. It is also a quick lesson and doesn't need to take overly much time. No one moans at having to do their lessons (except the son who isn't impressed with the pink writing on the cover of the current volume).

The down side is that it isn't exciting. There aren't any fun games or flash and bang. Read and review words, do some exercises, use words in context for comprehension, a few enrichment activities involving topics like prefixes and suffixes. We do use the extra tests at the end of every lesson.

We like it, it has been successful. It is also a quick lesson and doesn't need to take overly much time. No one moans at having to do their lessons (except the son who isn't impressed with the pink writing on the cover of the current volume).

:iagree:It has been the same at our house (even the complaining about the pink!) It isn't flashy, but my kids don't complain and they have retained what they have learned.

We are using it again this year.

Ds doesn't really **like** Wordly Wise, especially the last exercise in which he has to read a passage and answer the questions using the vocabulary words. However, since starting with it this past year, he often comes to me and points out words in his reading that he has studied with Wordly Wise. That tells me it's getting the job done! I'm planning to continue with it.

I used it w/ dd when we first started hsing and she really didn't care for it and struggled with it ---I didn't realize until later that I had started her about 2 years ahead of her grade level bec I didn't understand the numbering system they used before:) Anyway, I picked it up for my ds 11 and dd 13 to use this year ---while not flashy it does appear thourough and something that they can do without me! I also like that the website http://www.wordlywise3000.com has on-line games, etc. that you can use with each level ---that for me is just a little added extra.