Menu

Developing the Early Learner

stephanino

I like them alot! My DD is almost through with the 3rd one. I intend to use them with my DS also:) I think they are worth the extra $$ compared to other preschool level books. A few months ago I bought these preschool activity books http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com/item/39-0--/ and I was not impressed.

The Early Learner books do not teach numbers or reading. They focus on thinking skills.

My DD was younger than yours when we started, so we've taken... maybe a year and a half to get through them. But done consistently, they could be done in far less time:)

Oh, and amazon has them as part of their 4-for-3 promotion, plus you can get free shipping, so it's only $30 total for the set.

Someone just told me about this series of books and recommended them for my 4 1/2 year old (turns 5 in November). Has anyone used these, liked them (or not), recommends them, etc.? Thanks!

They work on visual skills, hearing skills, motor skills, ect...so they are not your typical workbook. It allowed me to identify my kids strengths and weaknesses and then use them to work on their weak areas (motor skills here). That also allowed me to adjust my expectations in handwriting to accommodate them.

Heather

I am using them with a 2nd child now--we did books 2-4 with my older, and are in book 1 with the next.

They are good books and work on skills that are not in other books--

But they are "weird". The pictures are a bit unusual (very 70s drawings). They are expensive.

I dont' think they are necessary, but they are useful. We did the Rod and Staff ABCs first, then are using the DEL books as we are transitioning into reading and math--

Betsy

Not to hijack this thread, but I've been wondering about these, too. I'm thinking that I will get them for my 4 yo. I've never done any formal schooling with him. But I was also wondering if I should get a set for my almost 6 yo. He will be starting kindergarten, can read 3-letter words, and he's learning to write. Do you think these books would be helpful for him, or are they geared only toward younger children?

They definitely progress in difficulty from 1-4. Yes, the drawings are a little dated, but overall, we liked them. I could see how much my 5yo daughter improved over the year. At the beginning some of the pages were really difficult for her, and it was great to see her development as time progressed. Some of the pages she liked more than others, but it was fun to sit down together and do some of the pages (hiding letters, objects, etc.). FYI-Several pages they can do on their own w/just explanation of what to do, but others you have to sit down w/them in order to finish.

I wouldn't get them for a six year old who is already reading. Well, I might, but I wouldn't get book one. If I thought they could benefit, I would start with book 2 or 3.

I did them with my older daughter. I started when she was almost five, and she enjoyed them, but I'm not sure she really NEEDED them or that they made a difference.

Trying to decide whether or not to get them for my current four yr old. They are good practice, but I don't know if it makes that much difference in the long run.