Menu

Another MUS question.../

In an effort to not hijack the OP on autism and MUS...

On the same note, I'm trying to remediate my 10 year old who just never got the upper multiplication tables. I'm planning to use MUS Gamma this year but also considering trying Times Tales to memorize the math tables facts. He is Asperger's/ADD and I think has dyscalcula - he really struggles with learning orders of operations and remembering how to do something with more than 2 or 3 steps. However, with prompting he can do fairly complex math problems. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Any success with Times Tales for our Asperger's kids?

I'm sorry, I can't answer your question about Times Tales, but I can recommend Professor B. Mathematics for remedial. My daughter struggled so much in math with her disability, and only after using this program was she able to remember things. (It helped me too). Please look it up on-line if you want more info. Good luck!

I don't know the program you are talking about, but a fun way to learn and practice the math tables is the video game Timez Attack. You can download it at www.bigbrainz.com . I let my kids play it as a reward when they've worked hard at math...they've not figured out yet that it is actually drill!

They have a free version that goes all the way to the 12s, or you can buy two more levels (well worth it, IMO). If he can play regular, fast moving computer games, he can play this game easily. It actually teaches the math facts...my DS has learned his tables up through 6 without my help at all, just by playing the game. Be sure to watch the demo...it is well worth your time. My DD with learning issues is mastering the times tables beautifully using the game.

HTH. My kids absolutely beg for it!

Have you looked at the Flashmaster? Expensive, but I hear good things about it..

http://www.flashmaster.com/

One of my daughter's has dyscalculia. She is almost 12 and she never did memorize all of the multiplication tables. I read somewhere that it has to do with working memory deficits. Does your son have executive functioning issues, sort of messy? My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD based on her executive functioning issues and working memory issues. She also has some attention issues, but they weren't very apparent back in the diagnosing phase. More apparent now. Anyway, she also has Asperger's and is HIGHLY verbally talented, so I know what you are dealing with. We use Right Start Math for our elementary math curriculum and the games really help to cement the facts. I think she had them memorized fairly well for a while, but if we stop for any amount of time, she forgets it all. It's so strange because she is otherwise a walking encyclopedia with a memory of steel for anything she reads.

Thanks for the responses!

We have tried Timez Attack, I bought the expansion early last fall/late summer. DS liked it but because the multiplication wasn't explicitly taught (you know it's just those figures kinda bouncing up to each other and they expect you to read into it) he got easily frustrated. I think that once he gets the basics down better he will enjoy that program more.

I will check into the other ones mentioned!

Have you looked at the Flashmaster? Expensive, but I hear good things about it..

http://www.flashmaster.com/

One of my daughter's has dyscalculia. She is almost 12 and she never did memorize all of the multiplication tables. I read somewhere that it has to do with working memory deficits. Does your son have executive functioning issues, sort of messy? My daughter was diagnosed with ADHD based on her executive functioning issues and working memory issues. She also has some attention issues, but they weren't very apparent back in the diagnosing phase. More apparent now. Anyway, she also has Asperger's and is HIGHLY verbally talented, so I know what you are dealing with. We use Right Start Math for our elementary math curriculum and the games really help to cement the facts. I think she had them memorized fairly well for a while, but if we stop for any amount of time, she forgets it all. It's so strange because she is otherwise a walking encyclopedia with a memory of steel for anything she reads.

I'm going to consider Flashmaster - still waiting for some curriculum purchases to "hit" the bank account so I can wait and see exactly what I have at the end (this is due to some ebaying and having to replace a few things I didn't win while on vacation! yucko). Your daughter sounds alot like my son, walking encyclopedia, messy and all! Then he gets sooo frustrated with multiplication and trying to count it up on his fingers is ridiculously slow. When I realized what a hindrance it was to his math skills I realized that somehow he has to get these math facts memorized, even if it takes all year and several products/curriculum - it will be worth it!