Menu

Work boxes

Guest mwood

Have you been homeschooling long? Is there a particular reason workboxes appeal to you?

I'm asking, because most 7th graders work best with a simple list of assignments to complete, and with some degree of structure as to which assignments they complete.

I'll be starting workboxes with my 7th grader this fall, so BIG :bigear: here. The workbox approach appeals to me for this child because I want to work him into more independence in his work. Long story involving special needs, but he wants me to ride shotgun on EVERYTHING--which is, believe it or not, an improvement over where we were before. But it's time to move forward to the next stage, and workboxes seem like a good way to keep him on task and on target without me RIGHTTHERE. I think it will give him the confidence to work on his own. I also am attracted by the idea of setting out the work in an orderly fashion the night before and then getting up with it already laid out and ready to go. I know there are other ways to accomplish this, but I think workboxes sound like they'll work well for us. I'll also be starting my 2nd grader with this method this fall, which will be her first year of home school. I'm hoping the workboxes will help me keep sane.

I haven't got it all worked out yet, but my plans so far include breaking his assignments down into manageable units and then put the necessary items in a drawer on a 10-drawer cart I've recently acquired. For example, his math book and pencil in one drawer, his science text and notebook in another drawer with another pencil, a "living" science book in a drawer, his historical fiction novel in another one, his history spine in another one with a worksheet to fill out, a language arts page in another one, his spelling list to practice in another one, music or art in another one...that sort of thing. I haven't worked out the exact sequence for each day of the week yet, but plan to soon. I plan to make a number card that will velcro onto the front of each drawer which he can pull off and stick onto a chart as he finishes the work in that drawer. Some of the drawers will also have things in them like a math game, instructions to play an educational video game, a leatherworking project, and other hands-on kinds of things that will give some variety from book work. I also got some "Take It To Your Seat" centers books and have been assembling learning activities in folders so I'll have some good "fillers" for when both kids think they need me at once. Then I can hand the one who has to wait a folder to keep them busy in a useful way until I can help.

That's pretty much what I've got so far. I'm thinking I'll also want a place they can "turn in" work they've completed that I need to check. And I'm thinking I'll also give them a couple of "Need Help" cards they can stick on a drawer they think they can't do alone, as well as have my own "Work With Mom" cards as suggested in the book. I'm contemplating putting their chart to stick the numbers on as they finish inside a "mini-office" that they can set up at their workspace, and which would also have things like handwriting charts, multiplication tables, measurement conversion charts, "how to write a paragraph" info, and whatnot for reference.

Oops....family waiting for me to read to them. End of random ramblings. Eagerly looking for others' comments. :)

Do you have the book? I just got mine today. I am using hanging file folder totes as my boxes. I have one for my 4th grader, one for first grader and one for my two prek-k kiddies (12 mos apart), then I have two project boxes, one for History and one for Science--we may add to those at a later day, one for bible, one for read aloud projects, one for handiwork, not sure. I only had a few $$ to spend, so I had to work with some of what I had. So far I have spent less then $20 on containers. :D

I am making file folder games-using clipart from the web and then just making math problems with markers. i plan to do one for spelling also. I think it would be fun to do a workbox activity swap--whether it be file folder games, handiwork or something like that.

Anyway, it is late and my "thinker" isn't thinking to straight anymore. lol

Please help me understaand how to get started with the work boxes for a 7th grader:tongue_smilie:

I started this spring with my 6th & 4th graders (soon to be 7th & 5th!), and they worked well for us.

First, I took our normal routine & thought about what work was independent. I only put the independent work in the workboxes.

Next, I decided how many boxes we'd need at least to start (I'm using tower drawers that I can add to if need be). I looked at how many different subjects (ie, not just LA, but spelling, grammar, writing--whatever LA subjects you do, each goes into its own box or drawer).

I included an extra drawer if I want to throw something fun to do. We ended up with 8 drawers.

Then I made velcro numbers & a schedule sheet so that they'd have a visual--it's like a 3-D schedule instead of crossing things off a list or checking items on a written schedule. And I put them on the drawers.

When I presented the idea to my kids, I told them this was a way of organizing how we do school so they could get done faster with no misplaced books. Choose a way to present it that will solve a problem or issue your child has, from THEIR perspective. I think that's important for older kids.

I let my kids decide what order they'd like to do their subjects, since they were used to determining that. I set their workboxes up in the order they chose. I gave them the freedom to choose a new order too--this is about them learning to be more independent.

I've always made up a weekly schedule, so I just modified it a bit so I could easily run down my list to see what I wanted for each box.

That's about it. I have pics on my blog--link in my siggy if you want to see them. Have fun with it! Merry :-)

I just set up a workbox-inspired system for my 7th grader this week! Here is a SLIDE.COM show of my workbox system that I am calling dd's "Office." Since she is older and can manage, most of the boxes are set up with books, materials and a check-off list in a page protector for the entire (10-12 week) term. A few of the boxes have things I will rotate daily like SURPRISE ME!, Ph-Ed, and Practical Life. Since she is older and has always been good about following a schedule, I didn't do velcro numbers, but simply taped the box numbers on. She will work though a box, check off what she did from the box's checklist/instructions/schedule, return the materials to the box, and put the box back for the next day. This system reminds me of my Montessori teaching days, only we used trays instead of boxes. Organization and structure is great for kids, no matter how it is implemented. We have always been pretty organized, but this system is Super Organized!

This is fantastic for older kids, too. All materials they need are in each box, the system will keep the element of surprise and fun, and a change like this can be a breath of fresh air from those paper checklists. I like that each subject and materials have their place and that she can work independently. I am excited to put fun things, treats, and surprises in the boxes too. Older kids need some fun in their school day too. ;)

I will switch the order and content of the boxes randomly to freshen it up, but right now I have:

Learning Time Begins at 8:00 am (we have had that start time for years).

Box 1- History Spine reading (M/W-Usborne Encyclopedia of the Ancient World, T/Th Pharoahs of Ancient Egypt)

Box 2- Language Arts (CLE and Megawords)

Box 3- Math (CLE)

Box 4- Devotional Reading

Box 5- Music and Poetry

BREAK

Box 6- Rotating Subjects (pick ONE each day: Fallacy Detective, Art in Ancient Egypt, The World of Chemistry, Nature Study)

Box 7- Memory Work (3-ring binder tabbed for Scripture, Poetry, Science Vocab)

Box 8- Diana Waring Unit Study

LUNCH and Listen To Diana Waring CD's

Box 9- Phy-Ed (different each day - dance video, weights, tae-bo, ball skills, etc)

Box 10- Science (Prentice Hall)

Box 11-Literature

Box 12- SURPRISE ME! (treat, game, cooking project, craft, something different each day)

Hopefully seeing the SLIDE show will help. Seeing pictures from the various bloggers is what really helped me envision how this could work for our family.

Blessings to you!

... Since she is older and can manage, most of the boxes are set up with books, materials and a check-off list in a page protector for the entire (10-12 week) term...

I like this idea. Not sure my particular ds is ready for that, but it might work in some subjects. (He's quirky.) I'll definitely have to think about this...

Just to be sure I'm reading you right, though, is this a check list of all the assignments in a subject for a term, and the list "lives" in the box? Is this so you don't have to write down the assignments every day, she just checks of the next one each day?

The 15yo is using a modified AO Yr7 lite with AO Yr9 lite substituted for geography and WP Quest for the Middle Ages substituted for the devotional reading, history, and biographies. He will be using Literary Lessons from The Lord of the Rings for literature, composition (with IEW for explanations), and vocabulary. LOTR is listed in the free reading section of the Yr7 break down on LindaFay’s blog. For a 15yo boy an in-depth study of LOTR somehow seemed appropriate alongside his history. He is using the last 20 chapters of Conceptual Physics and Roller Coaster Physics to wrap up his physics credit and he is also doing WinterPromise Human Body and Forensics.

My thought would be that if a 1 page schedule is working then don’t fix what isn’t broken. I am moving my 15yo to workboxes only because he was going to end up with 4-5 schedule pages that made next year look overwhelmingly more complicated than it actually is. It is actually easier to see his schedule by looking at his workboxes.

I didn't like the shoe boxes, because they are not wide enough for binders, workbooks, etc. to lay flat. Ds will be using four 3-drawer sterilite medium carts purchased from Wal-Mart for $9 each, so they are comparable in cost to the shoe rack with clear shoe boxes. On the outside each 3 drawer cart measures 14.5''L x 12.5''W x 24''H. On the inside the drawers are 6.75" deep and are just wide enough for a cheap 1"-3 ring binder to lay flat. Here are his boxes.

Box 1 with number 1

1. Commonplace Book (5x/week);

And to be used in this order on days 1-4:

English Lit for Boys and Girls by H.E. Marshal (1x/week); Bullfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry (1x/week); Ourselves Book 1 by Charlotte Mason (1x/week); Asimov’s Chronology of the World (1x/week)

Box 2 with numbers 2 and 3

2. ACT Math Drill- just a few problems (4x/week)

3. Conceptual Physics (4x/week)

The little man's Box 2 This box will sport both the little man’s green 2 and the 15 yo's blue number 4

4. WinterPromise QMA- the few materials shared in our together time (4x/week)

Box 3 with number 5

5. Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings (5x/week)

Box 4 with number 6

6. QMA Independent Study- Early Church History (4x/week)

Box 5 with number 7

7. Teaching Textbooks Pre-Calc (5x/week)

Box 6 with number 8

8. WP HB&F (4x/week)

Box 7 with number 9

9. To be used in this order on days 1-4:

Teaching Company's Great Artist's of the Italian Renaissance (1x/week); Teaching Company's Anatomy & Physiology (1x/week); K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics (1x/week); Teaching Company's Foundations of Western Civ (1x/week)

Box 8 with numbers 10 and 11

10. Jensen's Grammar (4x/week)

11. Spanish (4x/week)

Box 9 with number 12

12. Nature Notebook and guides (4x/week)

Box 10 with number 13

13. To be used in this order on days 1-4:

Memory/ Copywork (1x/week:Romans 12, Macbeth's Monologue, from Magna Charta, and an as yet undetermined piece of poetry ); Picture Study on Artist from day 1's Teaching Company Lecture with oral narration (1x/week); The Royal Road to Romance begin chapter (1x/week); The Royal Road to Romance finish chapter and complete drawn narration (1x/week)

Box 11 with number 14

14. WP QMA- History and Geography selections from independent studies

Box 12 with number 15

15. Additional Literature to include Macbeth, Beowulf, Canterbury Tales, The Tempest, Redwall, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, and Fierce Wars and Faithful Loves (a modern retelling of the first book of the Faerie Queen).

Most of his boxes will stay the same all year as this is where we will store it all. A few items simply must be changed out, because there isn't enough room in the box. He will change out his Teaching Company Lectures, K'Nex, nature guides, QMA independent study projects, and readers when needed. I will change out his ACT math drill weekly.

Days 1-4 he will complete every number. On day 5 he will share his Commonplace Book and complete numbers 5, 7, 15. I laminated a schedule that tells what to do on each day. For things that have a specific schedule like LLfLotR and WP I will place the weekly schedule in the box along with the books. I think that this will allow him to continue working independently without toting around lots of paper.

HTH-

Mandy

That is one cool set up and slide show! The level of creativity on this board astounds me! I could never think of that. I have been cruising the work box posts considering it for my rising 1st grader. I never thought of using it for my 7th grader, but she would love a space like that. My 1st grader watched the slide show with me. She thought it was great, too! Alas, my house is too small!

Mary

Wow, Tami! That looks so amazing! I've gotta admit, until I saw your slide show I just didn't give a hoot about workbox systems. In fact, I barely researched this idea b/c I just didn't understand what the hype was all about. It just seemed far too complicated for me. I'm now reconsidering. Would workboxes work for the organizationally challenged like me?

I just set up a workbox-inspired system for my 7th grader this week! Here is a SLIDE.COM show of my workbox system that I am calling dd's "Office."

My kids are 7th, 6th and 5th this fall and seemed a little resistant to the idea. I was able to purchase 10 drawer carts for $35.00 today on Joann.com and showed them the slide show. I think they are excited about it now! Thanks for making the slide show. Since we are finishing out our basement for our schoolroom using the workbox system will be great for organization and foster their independence too!!

I just set up a workbox-inspired system for my 7th grader this week! Here is a SLIDE.COM show of my workbox system that I am calling dd's "Office."

Tami, thanks to you I am a new owner of a Trofast system. Because of space requirements, I got the tall narrow frame instead but it's right next to my son's desk and looks as if it will work perfectly. Thank you so much for your slide show. It showed me exactly what I needed.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I am convinced that Workboxes are great for older children working more independently too! Yes, they are great for moms who are organizationally challenged, because workboxes give you a framework and a method to stay accountable.

Please post pics when you get yours set up - I love seeing what others are doing!

Wow, you guys are creative!

StaceyTea, I'm planning on using the workboxes b/c I am organizationally challenged.

Laura

:iagree:

I am *very* organizationally challenged, and workboxes have changed my life! (Well, the homeschooling part :tongue_smilie:) We started using them this spring (we're just using the cheap Wal-Mart containers on shoe racks) and it's amazing how much more we accomplished. I think it helps that I'm a very visual person, and it's just so much easier to have things laid out in front of me. Also, its nice to have everything you need for each subject ready to go: pencils, rulers, glue, whatever you need. We are using things that I've had on the shelves for years! I just put a game or a puzzle into one of the boxes, and it's "scheduled" as part of the day.

Tami, I love your rotating subject box! DD would love more control about what to do during the day, and I think this might do the trick.

Oh my goodness, I LOVED that slide show! It looks very classy - I'm having to sit on my hands to avoid running right out and buying my own (since I already HAVE a system for my workboxes which is doing fine)! :D

I could have practically written the post above. I am organizationally challenged, I am visual, and workboxes help *me* be a better homeschooling mom. I don't think they have to be complex - it's simply a way of laying out your day's work ahead of time, which I used to do in a big stack (and overwhelmed both the kids and myself).

I get that they're not for everyone, but I'd hate to see someone dismiss it because they don't thing they are organized enough to pull it off - this thing is a lifesaver in helping to GET organized! :001_smile:

So do you put those things per box as you need them or all in one box that is used all day?

I put them in each box. If my DD is doing geometry for math, I'll put in a pencil, a compass, ruler (or whatever instrument she needs), along with her workbook. Even though they theoretically only need one pencil for the whole day, I know they (DS especially) tend to lose pencils throughout the day, so I usually end up putting one in every other box. (I have no idea where these pencils go, I think they end up in the same place as every pair of scissors we own, and half of our socks :lol:)

So, if they are doing an art project, I put the instructions for the project, whatever materials they need (including paper cut to the right size, for my DS) in the box. If I'm reading aloud the same book to both of them, I put the book in one of their boxes, and a sticky note in the other saying "Read Aloud with Mom". I try to estimate how long it will take them to get through certain boxes so they end up on the read aloud box....it doesn't always work out that way, one usually has to wait for the other, but I just tell them to go on to the next box.

This system has been especially helpful for my DS who has Sensory Processing Disorder. His attention span is very short, and he has trouble concentrating on larger tasks. For instance, if I tell him to clean his room, he'll sit there, overwhelmed, not knowing where to start. But if I say, pick up your dirty clothes first, then your books...he can handle that. The workboxes work the same way for him. He can see how much work he's accomplished, and how much is left for him to go.

Thanks for the kind words, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! I am convinced that Workboxes are great for older children working more independently too! Yes, they are great for moms who are organizationally challenged, because workboxes give you a framework and a method to stay accountable.

After reading this, I went out and bought my own set up. I need them for exactly the reasons stated above and I do love that slide show as well. Thanks for sharing!

Wow! Okay, I just might have to do this.

Before I buy the book, though, I'm wondering two things:

• How do you do this when you have more than one kid sharing a resource? That would seem to disrupt the nice, neat flow of each child being able to access their own work at their own pace from their own boxes. :confused:

• Also, how much time does it take to plan and fill each box either on a weekly basis or daily?

How do you do this when you have more than one kid sharing a resource? That would seem to disrupt the nice, neat flow of each child being able to access their own work at their own pace from their own boxes. :confused:

Also, how much time does it take to plan and fill each box either on a weekly basis or daily?

I have two boys that are one grade apart - they share a LOT of resources. If it's something they can do together, I stick in one of their boxes with a note or card in the other box for what we're doing. If not, I stagger them far enough apart that I can move it when one boy is done to the other one's box. (I don't feel like I explained that well - I hope it made sense!)

I'm guessing time spent depends a lot on the individual, as well as how prepared you are in general (like if you've already made any copies you need for the year, etc.). I probably spend about 15 minutes filling the boxes each night.

Hope that helps!

• How do you do this when you have more than one kid sharing a resource? That would seem to disrupt the nice, neat flow of each child being able to access their own work at their own pace from their own boxes. :confused:

I was about to ask the same question. I would be interested in hearing the answer.

we will be doing a version of workboxes (file box system) & two of my children will share a lot of history resources. I plan to keep all the history books on the bookshelf and just put a note card in the file telling them which book and which pages to read (and a reminder to put book back when they are done!)

we will be doing a version of workboxes (file box system) & two of my children will share a lot of history resources. I plan to keep all the history books on the bookshelf and just put a note card in the file telling them which book and which pages to read (and a reminder to put book back when they are done!)

Now that is a good idea! I don't have any children sharing books, but some of the books are just to big to have in a box. A note in a box would work for that as well.

Would be to number the independent boxes only, say 1-8. A box for EACH child.

Then for the shared resources use ONE set of boxes, putting a different color on each box: Blue, Yellow, Red, Black.

Assign shared resources in different order. For example, have one child do their numbered boxes first, and them work through the colors.

Or have one child do Blue, Yellow, Red, Black, while the other child works on Black, Red, Blue, Yellow.

You could also use Tangram pieces, or whatever seems interesting for the shared boxes.