Menu

Introductions Thread

We've home schooled from the start -- in California until 3 years ago when we returned to Massachusetts.

I'd describe us as eclectic home schoolers with a Classical bent. This year both girls are participating in online classes and enjoying this new experience. Other than that we mainly do our own thing but have also been part of a local co-op for the past 2 years.

I thought I posted quite often, but, judging from the number of posts others have racked up so far, it seems that I'm much mistaken :D

I've been a frequent visitor to WTM Boards since the beginning but an infrequent poster. We have 3 dc, 12th grader, 9th grader, and 6th grader. We've been homeschooling since the beginning, except, my oldest attended public high school for 9th and 10th grades. She's now doing online courses with Biola Torrey, comm. college courses (mostly math) and completing some additional high school requirements, i.e., Econ, etc. She's been busying applying to colleges this year. She has been accepted and offered academic scholarships from the three we have heard from. Still waiting on the public schools and applying to one more college. My 9th grader uses Omnibus 3 (first year using this), TT, Latin in CT, Spielvogel history book, and Logic through Biola Torrey. My 6th grader uses IEW, TT, SOTW 4, AG. Well, that's what I can remember at the top of my head.

I've been very grateful for everyone's input on these boards (now forums) as they have been very helpful in my homeschooling journey. Lots of ideas and lots of advice and plenty of opinions, which I like!

Thanks. I will continue to "listen" closely.

Sylvia

I've been homeschooling 8 years now. Found WTM right after I started and everything just clicked with my CPA mind. I started on the old boards about 2000. Just graduated to the high school board in the last year or so, as my oldest is only 13, but doing some high school level work. The other boards got too busy for me.

I have learned so much from you all. These new boards are making my nervous, I am persevering because my hs just wouldn't be the same without the collective input from the hive.

Thanks,

Holly S/NC

We're not technically in high school, yet, but I've been reading the High School board more and more, the closer we get. :-o

I've always homeschooled our kids (oldest two are soon-to-be 14yo and soon-to-be 13yo, then 7yo, 6yo, and 3yo), and was fortunate to read WTM soon after we started (oldest was in first grade). Much of the goals were similar to mine, and I found the forums shortly after reading the book, and have been here ever since.

We tend to be pretty relaxed in the early years, and get more 'rigorous' as the kids get older, and it seems to have worked (so far), so I plan to keep doing the same thing with the next 'batch'. :o)

I really appreciate the experience of those who have already traveled this road.

I, too, found TWTM in 1999 and found it to be exactly the guidance we were looking for. We've tweaked quite a bit since then, adding quite a few children and moving to 5 different states.

I currently have 2 in high school, 2 in junior high, 1 in elementary and 2 pre-schoolers.

I really like the format of the new boards, but find it much harder to just pop quickly on and off like I used to do, so I probably won't be around too much.

Jodi

I really like the format of the new boards, but find it much harder to just pop quickly on and off like I used to do, so I probably won't be around too much.

Jodi

I'm fortunate that my son and I each have our own laptops w/wireless connection to our cable internet. We got this all set-up at the beginning of the school year when some great sales allowed us to pick up a basic PC laptop for $349 + tax!

Since the high school board is the only one I read regularly, I'm finding that as long as I stay logged in with the "remember me" box checked, I can keep that page open in one tab of my Explorer all day and just check in when I have time.

Hi everyone!

I am Sabrina in NY, (hopefully to be living in VA soon) now known as happykids!

I have frequented TWTM forums for a long time, 8 years maybe.

I have three children: 19yods (freshman at Liberty Univ., VA), 16yodd, and 13yodd.

We have homeschooled from the beginning and have used a mix of several homeschool methods.

I am so thankful for all I have learned in these forums! You're all great!

We've been homeschooling our 13 year old dd for the past two years. Our older daughter is a sophomore at one of the Virginia universities.

I am deeply grateful to the brilliant and hardworking parents on this board who led me to such treasures as Scholars Online, Lukeion, Accelerated Grammar, Jacobs math, CyberEd Science, and many others. Our homeschool experience would be much poorer without these resources.

I rarely feel that I have the knowledge to help others on the High School board at this point, but I'm hoping to contribute more in the future (assuming I eventually figure out how to navigate this new format). :(

Begonia (whose real name is Begona-- it's a Basque name, don't ask!)

Hi,

I've been coming to this board since 1999 (I think). I graduated my ds (oldest child) this past summer, and he is doing quite well at the local university. He has been a trooper with carrying a full load and working too! I was so worried that he wouldn't do well with the lecture format because I never got around to teaching him how to take notes (hopefully will remedy this with next ones). I have two left (one in high school and one in upper elementary). I am running out of book shelves to house all the books from our homeschooling, my personal library, and ds's college books. Even though I've homeschooled for almost 14 years, I'm still learning how to homeschool better. Maybe I'll start getting things right when grandkids come around (that is if my little guinea pigs want to have their darlings homeschooled!).

Now I hope to find my way around the new forum. It will take some getting used to!

Blessings,

I have 3 dds: 15, 13, & 9. We've always homeschooled, but the oldest went to ps this year for 10th.

Dd#2 will be at home for high school, and is a challenge for me to keep up with academically. She'll be in 9th grade next year, and the only reason I'm not completely freaking out (just partially) is because I've gone up through the end of 9th grade with my oldest already (after that....).

But dd#1 did Alg 1 in 9th grade, not 8th like dd#2, so I'm at a loss there. They're completely different kids - total opposites. So I'm not really all that prepared for high school.

If someone could help me with my geometry question, to keep me from looking like this dizzy.gif. I would really appreciate it!

Glad we've got this board, and it looks like the high school board is much more active over here, on this new board. Even if it is new and different, I hope we'll all find our comfort zone with it.

TWTM was the first book on homeschooling I read when we decided in December 2003 to homeschool our only child. We began the next school year in 5th grade. I love the principles in TWTM, but not all of the have been right for our child over the years we have not to make adaptions to fit her better. Now our dd14 is in 8th grade. Some classes are high school level, but not all.

I'm very nervous about high school so I've been reading this board for the last year or so to get advice. It has been a treasure trove for us.

My name is Cathy~I've been homeschooling seven years, and have two dd and one ds. My oldest is in eighth grade. In May of last year, my dd's best friend's mom was diagnosed with stage 4 breast cancer. This girl had been homeschooled prior to the diagnosis, and the mom wanted her to continue. I offered to help and am teaching her two days a week~math, English, and Latin. We are also involved in a co-op.

I've been reading these boards for years, although I seldom post. There truly is a wealth of knowledge to be found here!