Menu

I decide on 1 science and read on others & change mind. anyone like that?

sadiegirl

I am soooo confused. I think I make up my mind on one science and then I read on another and start second guessing my choice. I read current and even do a search on past posts regarding science and all I do is get more confused. I am not good at science but my boys LOVE it and love doing the experiments when we can get the supplies gathered or don't have to make a special trip to town to buy them. My boys are going into 7th and 8th grades and I really want to step it up a notch on science.

I am considering Rainbow Science, Apologia(we did the exploring creation series and they both enjoyed them) and Bob Jones. I was also considering Interactive Science by Singapore but from what I can tell, experiments and supplies can be an issue so I eliminated that one.

I know many express concern over expense of Rainbow but at this point..we are ready to do what it takes to get a good fun year of science.

I also looked at the Thames kits and like the looks of them but I am one of those teachers that need it all laid out and prepared so no thinking or planning is involved. I just report to duty!

Please advise.

And, the sad thing about my confusion...I feel the same on creative writing, foreign language(nope, we haven't made the plunge yet!). I am amazed how thorough most of you seem on your planning and curriculum choices. I wonder if there are any moms like me that don't have it all figured out?!?!

So, any advice on science would be appreciated. I'm guessing that with any of these 3 choices, I wouldn't go too wrong, right? But, I would still like to select the one that would make us WANT to do science.

*sigh* I wish I could help you out but I can not make up my mind either :lol: Mostly just wanted to let you know you are not alone. I was thinking today that maybe I needed to make my choice and then ban the internet :tongue_smilie:

For me, if we hadn't done Rainbow I don't think we would have completed any experiments. I felt experiments were important enough to spend the money on Rainbow. Not everyone needs to do hands-on, but my kids like it so I made it a priority.

I have the hardest time with History, so I can relate to your predicament. I still haven't figured out what I'm going to use for my DD4th History this year. I finally sat with DH, wrote an outline of 18 topics I want to cover this fall and I'm going to wing it with library books, History Pockets, literature and craft books. I might spend 5 minutes on the American Revolution or I might spend all week. I haven't decided. But I did decide I'm not going to think about anymore. The perfect curriculum doesn't exist and I'm not going to keep looking for it. But let me tell you how I really feel! LOL!

Some of the classes I "wing" and don't plan turn out the best - because I'm inspired at that moment. By the end of this past school year I was so bored with DD's curriculum after looking at for 9 months I was ready to throw it all out and wing the whole last month. Opps...did I just confess that? Shhhh... I would never admit that to my kids.

Whether you choose Rainbow, Bob Jones or Apologia you will be able to buy pre-made experiment kits, so I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

You are most definitely not alone. It's the one curse that comes with this board!!! LOL :lol: Too many great choices out there!

I think I changed plans at least 4 or 5 times for next year, but bit the bullet and ordered everthing yesterday ... so no more reading about different curriculum from those other hive members for me.:tongue_smilie:

OH, and no help from me, sorry my dc are way younger than yours so I haven't gotten that far yet! ;)