Menu

Biology - Subject list of things to cover

Does this exist? - a list of subjects/topics that should be covered for a high school Biology class? I'm really struggling to find a good fit for my ds to complete his bio credit this year. He's not science oriented at all. Apologia has not been a good fit but he does seem to learn best by watching/visual aids. I love the books on the Charlotte Mason site (he does seem to enjoy reading some science books that are novel in nature rather than textbook style). I'm wondering about the Biology 101 DVD course but adding in some extras if it didn't cover all that is needed - hence my question concerning a list of subjects/topics that should be covered at this level. Help?

Have you looked at Exploring the Way Life Works: The Science of Biology? It's a very nontraditional sort of textbook, used in "bio for non-science majors" type courses. It's not a DVD but it's still very visual, with hundreds of really excellent illustrations. It's very accessible for nonsciencey kids, yet still covers all the standard Bio 101 topics. You could skim through the material your DS already knows and focus on the topics you haven't yet covered.

You can "look inside" on Amazon, and you can find it used for under $20:

http://www.amazon.com/Exploring-Way-Life-Works-Science/dp/076371688X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247212637&sr=1-1

Jackie

I was perusing this book on amazon just an hour ago and it looked very interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Biology-Inquiries-Standards-Based-Assessments-Jossey-Bass/dp/0787976520/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247213342&sr=8-1 I'm not sure if it is what you are looking for but I thought I'd just as soon link it as not if it is helpful to you. :) Good luck. :)

Thanks for all of the great ideas. I really wish I had the knowledge (or is it confidence) to come up with a lesson plan to do this totally on my own. I've got these books bookmarked and will put a few ideas together for my son and I to discuss and see what might fit him best. I was really intrigued by the hippocampus stuff and wondered with the textbook and those assignments - is that it? Would that be a complete course for a nonscience major kid? I've seen a number of the recommended textbooks at a our big used bookstore so this course would be very inexpensive. Hmmm...

Heidi