Menu

Can you tell me anything about Noni Juice, Acai Juice and Goji?

I always like the idea of detoxing now and then naturally. There is a bewildering array of juices on the shelves now.

If you have tried any of them, which one did you like best?

If you know something about them which is most beneficial?

Are there other choices I need to know about?

I always like the idea of detoxing now and then naturally. There is a bewildering array of juices on the shelves now.

If you have tried any of them, which one did you like best?

If you know something about them which is most beneficial?

Are there other choices I need to know about?

I think they are all extremely good for you. I'm not into "detoxing" just healthy eating, though, so I can't answer that question.

One thing that makes me sad though is that the acai berry used to be very much a part of the diet of poor people in parts of Brazil where it grows. Now that there is a market for it in the US, it is too valuable to constitute the staple food that it used to be for the poor. As a result, their diet is greatly impoverished.

I tried the fancy acai juice, Vita, I believe the name is. I didn't notice any difference but my mom loves it. I'm wary of products that are hyped too much. It's better to eat a balanced diet and supplement with vitamins, at least for me. I take a multi and super-B's.

I got Monavie (Acai berry blend) prescribed from the ND. It made a big difference in my mood. I tried switching to a different brand and it wasn't as good. I took it to the ND and it didn't test well. I am now taking Tre' a new one from this guy at GNLD. They are still completing testing, but GNLD often has done trials and such, I really trust the company. It includes important ingredients like pomegranate, green tea, alpha lipoic acid and is highly concentrated. It seems to be helping mental clarity, but I have been on it for less than a week. I give it to my kids too.

I think that they all are very healthy fruits. I also think that the products are astonishingly overpriced -- so I hope I'm obtaining sufficiently healthful equivalents from less expensive fruits (blueberries, cherries, oranges, and so forth). I spend a lot of money already for organic foods, and have to draw the line sometimes. The three you mention cost beyond my means.

I guess it depends on your circumstances and POV. I take Fish oil for an autoimmune disease, Cocao for depression, and Tre' for ADD. Prescriptions from the MD and pharmacy would cost me more money and not be overall health benefit like these natural products. I know I have tried them (Rxs).

What is "Tre' " ?

I think you misunderstood me. I am very, very "pro" alternative medicines and rely on several for my own health needs. (I believe in sensible combination of alternative meds and pharmaceutical meds.)

I was responding straightforwardly to the OP with an opinion that the same health benefits can be obtained from lower cost food items. That's all.

I guess it depends on your circumstances and POV. I take Fish oil for an autoimmune disease, Cocao for depression, and Tre' for ADD. Prescriptions from the MD and pharmacy would cost me more money and not be overall health benefit like these natural products. I know I have tried them (Rxs).

What is "Tre' " ?

I think you misunderstood me. I am very, very "pro" alternative medicines and rely on several for my own health needs. (I believe in sensible combination of alternative meds and pharmaceutical meds.)

I was responding straightforwardly to the OP with an opinion that the same health benefits can be obtained from lower cost food items. That's all.

Oh, I just meat that the juice was worth it to me. In my case the autoimmune disease prevents me from digesting a good nutritious diet. So, the juice and nutrition shakes that I get from GNLD are well worth the money. In addition, they happen to be the only vitamins/supplements/medicine that I can get my DD to take. We tried fish oil, and flax oil and I am thankful that Acai berries are high in good fats because she won't take the others. :). I haven't figured up the cost of the juice compared to fruit (that I can/t eat ha!) but the protein supplement costs the same per serving as eggs, and the meal replacement shake costs less than a happy meal, so if I look at the supplements as replacing food it turns out to be a good deal. :)

Oh, Tre' is a new brand of juice blend that contains Acai berry. I switched to it from Monavie, mainly for convenience, since my nutritional "guy" carries it, and doesn't carry Monavie.

I am sure they all have some benefit- they are fruits after all and I know of none that have no benefit- but I am turned off by the hyped up marketing over them. If oranges and apples were rare and exotic, they would find a way to hype them up too by citing isolated nutritional factors.

The alternative health industry is just as corrupt as the mainstream health industry trying to get you to take pain relief for every tiny ache.

If you cut out processed and packaged foods, and especially soda, and eat mostly fruit and vegetetables and whole grains and butter and raw milk, you will detoxify. Add to that some sort of gentle bowel cleanse, and you will detoxify even better.

However, I have certainly tried many things and spent a lot of money on them too, hoping they would improve my health. If you are attracted to the juices, maybe there is something in them that your body needs- I think trusting your instincts is a good idea in any case. Better than trusting the advertising.

I am sure they all have some benefit- they are fruits after all and I know of none that have no benefit- but I am turned off by the hyped up marketing over them. If oranges and apples were rare and exotic, they would find a way to hype them up too by citing isolated nutritional factors.

Very well put and I agree 100%

The alternative health industry is just as corrupt as the mainstream health industry trying to get you to take pain relief for every tiny ache.

If you cut out processed and packaged foods, and especially soda, and eat mostly fruit and vegetetables and whole grains and butter and raw milk, you will detoxify.

Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science? :)

Yes, the best way to detox is to stop "toxing" in the first place.

I could not agree more ! Any industry is "out for itself" first, foremost, and primarily.

With reference to the health industry, one of my greatest disgusts is any company or doctor which claims that the "save your life" product is available ONLY from it or him/her, and from nowhere else. Nothing smacks more of arrogance, falsehood, and "give me the $$$$$" faster than that !

I think that they all are very healthy fruits. I also think that the products are astonishingly overpriced -- so I hope I'm obtaining sufficiently healthful equivalents from less expensive fruits (blueberries, cherries, oranges, and so forth). I spend a lot of money already for organic foods, and have to draw the line sometimes. The three you mention cost beyond my means.

Yes, same here. I did come across a sale at my Organic Co-op and started to check out all the varieties. I ended up buying nothing because it was confusing and the store clerk shared that the Noni Juice in particular was not exactly an epicurian delight but one should gag it down for its health benefits.

I already take 3 other good vitamins that seem very beneficial.

Very well put and I agree 100%

Who are you who are so wise in the ways of science? :)

Yes, the best way to detox is to stop "toxing" in the first place.

I do agree and I think I eat rather healthy. In 2007, I had a borderline tumor removed and ever since I try to eat healthy and detox now and then as well. Perhaps it's overkill because does one need to detox when the diet is mostly organic and heavy on vegetable/fruit? Not sure, but now and then I get stuck in the detox aisle...

Blueberries are readily available, cheaper, and are also packed with anti-oxidants. If you buy local, seasonally available berries, you'll save a ton of money while doing your body good!

Oh, I had to mention that the Organic Blueberry Farm down the road just gave me a large ziploc bag of their somewhat "imperfect" berries that they could not sell. My heart sang and we've been having blueberry smoothies, blueberry pie and blueberries in yogurt...ever since.

It seems to be helping mental clarity, but I have been on it for less than a week.

the mental clarity for the first month+ is amazing. i honestly felt like i was on the verge of a "Flowers for Algernon" type experience for awhile! :w00t:

it kind of levels off after the first 2 months, i'd guess.