Menu

Freaking Out

We haven't even made the "official" decision to homeschool yet and I am still completely freaking out about it. How long will it take for this feeling to go away?

Christine

I never really felt that, but I started HSing when mine were in kindergarten, so I sort of figured, "How bad can one mess up kindergarten?" I think there is probably more of a freakout factor if you start a lot later.

We decided to HS our children a few months ago after this school year ended. In the beginning I felt just like you. I have spent alot of time researching and gaining my own knowledge. Don’t get me wrong I am still nervous as we haven’t started yet but I am getting prepared. Prepare yourself for everything to not be perfect. Look up HS groups in your area and talk to some that have been HS to get advice. Decide why you are thinking about HS and make a decision if those reasons are reason enough to make the commitment. I had to learn to take a breath and one step at a time. First I looked into the pros and cons and made my decisions. Then I researched and decided what method I wanted to use then I started researching curriculum made a list of what subjects I wanted to teach and how, and found curriculum to fit. Now after the first year we may change everything around but that is the beauty of HS you do what is best for you and your children. You do not have a school board of state office that doesn’t even know your kids telling you what is best. Anyone who has a love for their child can HS if they put their mind to it. I hope this will give you some encouragement with your decision.:) God Bless!!!!

For me it was the whole first year. We're about a month into our second year, and I'm starting to relax... some ;)

It did help me to have read in a number of different books that the first year is the hardest year. So trust yourself, know you're NOT alone, you can do this, and it'll get better as it progresses. Cut yourself a lot of slack the first year as well and you'll look back in a year and feel much better.

Congratulations on your decision!

I didn't have time to freak out about the decision but did have time to completely panic when our curriculum arrived. I was uneasy the first year but it has been, by far, the best thing I could have done for my kids and for my family.

My sons later went to PS and I think my soon to be 9th grader will be home this year, my older son will graduate next year from PS - his choice. Seeing what I have with PS, my younger kids (girls) will NEVER step foot in them.

What are the ages of your kids? I started early, one in 1st grade and the others too young. I eased my way into schooling two, then three and then the upper grades. It was an easier transition than I thought it would be and we had FUN studying science and history together.

For me it was the whole first year. We're about a month into our second year, and I'm starting to relax... some ;)

It did help me to have read in a number of different books that the first year is the hardest year. So trust yourself, know you're NOT alone, you can do this, and it'll get better as it progresses. Cut yourself a lot of slack the first year as well and you'll look back in a year and feel much better.

Congratulations on your decision!

I had a rough first couple of months. I pushed my little guy too hard. Once I figured out what was appropriate things vastly improved.

I was freaking out until all of my curriculum got here and I had everything I needed in hand. Deciding on what we are using for the year (for better or worse) and planning out the first half of the year took all of the stress off for me, and now I am enjoying the rest of our summer. Hopefully making your decision and beginning to follow through on it will give you some peace too. :grouphug:

The funny part of all this is that I have all the materials we'll be using (except Sonlight Science which will be here Friday) and we've been using them over the summer for our "test". I"ve done all the research, made a pro and con list, spoken to homeschoolers, checked out a HSing group, tried to find friends for my son so he's not isolated, established his activities. But now that that's all done, I'm completely freaked out. I was comfortable with our unofficial decision to homeschool him (it's wasn't really a decision, per say, it just became more and more obvious that that is what's best for him, besides the fact that I've asked him every day if he still wants to homeschool and every day he still says yes.)

He's not at all uneasy or nervous about any of this. He's very confident in his decision. I've thrown every possible situation at him that may come up, and he still does not want to go back to school. It's funny how we map out our children's lives, then they develop a sense of self and decision-making capabilities, and you never even noticed. All my carefully laid plans are being changed by him, and that's OK in my heart, my head just needs time to catch up. BTW, he's 7.

For me, I was a little worried until after our first annual report (we have yearly testing or portfolio review in my state). That went well and it was smooth sailing until the High School years and I began to stress about college, dual college enrollment, college entrance tests and HS transcripts. My oldest is officially done, he's in college and his transcript is complete and everything was pretty easy! Just keep good records!

We haven't even made the "official" decision to homeschool yet and I am still completely freaking out about it. How long will it take for this feeling to go away?

Christine

Ummm, it hasn't yet for me (4 years). But I'm kind of a paranoid type :blush: Every once in a while I have a "freak out" moment when I fully weigh in the uber-responsibility of educating my child. Then I really "freak" when I realize it could be worse if I relinquished that responsibility to the PS system and I had little or no control over it. But then again, I'm kind of a control type too. :blush:

When I first started hs'ing I was a MESS. I was pretty good with making the decision and all summer I psyched myself up, but the morning I set out to take the letter to the school and the school board I freaked out and put dd on the school bus. Ds was starting school 1 week later than dd because he was in SK and the school did a staggered entry for the younger kids, but I was much more relaxed with ds because it was "just" kindergarden (less pressure to perform, no letters to hand in, more people are okay with hs'ing for kindergarden). Dd was Gr. 3 though and I was freaking out about the decision when it came down to handing in the letters, but then after I put her on the school bus I felt like crud for the reason I did - fear.

Dd said she really wanted to come home for school after 2 weeks in ps so I ended up getting some strength finally and pulling her out. Not to scare you, but for at least 1-2 mths. I would wake up in the morning feeling sick to my stomach and almost puking because I was that much of a mess about the decision to pull her out. I was so worried I would do something wrong or leave something out. I was worried she was missing friends at school or fun experiences at school. Sadly, I also worried A LOT about what other people were thinking about my family.

However, I did relax over time and although we didn't truly find our groove until our second year of hs'ing, it did get much easier and more relaxed. This past year has been MUCH more relaxed. I still have nagging doubts sometimes, but then other times I'm positive I made the right decision.

I think three of the biggest factors that affected how I reacted once we started hs'ing were:

-it is ingrained in most people's brains that school is where kids should be and that teachers know how to teach better than we do, so it was very hard to overcome decades of conditioning to that mindset

-dh was really not on board with hs'ing so it was hard to start hs'ing without his enthusiastic support for it

-almost everywhere I went irl or everything I read on hs'ing message boards was about how excited people were to start hs'ing and how wonderful it was and about how sure they were of their decisions; nowhere did I read about people who were feeling like I was, so I felt alone in how I was feeling and felt like I was doing something wrong/something was wrong with me because every morning I woke up I had a sense of dread for the day rather than excitement

Really though, hopefully my experience will be encouraging to you though that although the first part is sometimes nerve-wracking, once you find your groove you will be really excited about hs'ing and will be glad you choose to :)

Ummm, it hasn't yet for me (4 years). But I'm kind of a paranoid type :blush: Every once in a while I have a "freak out" moment when I fully weigh in the uber-responsibility of educating my child. Then I really "freak" when I realize it could be worse if I relinquished that responsibility to the PS system and I had little or no control over it. But then again, I'm kind of a control type too. :blush:

This could have been written by me. Seriously, I am a spaz. I really sweat things.

Because I'm already uptight enough, I do the following things to reassure myself:

1. I follow the national standards for the kids' grade level, and we test every year.

2. I only associate with supportive people. (We listened to other points of view BEFORE we started home schooling. Now is not the time to tear us down.)

3. We belong to HSLDA, and we follow their instructions to the letter. They're very reasonable, and give sage advice.

4. We co-op with other homeschoolers who share our values and encouraging outlook.

If you happen to be the uptight type, I suggest you stick to positive relationships, productive organizations and adherence to standards and feedback you trust. It's how I keep out of the loony bin.

I think it is gradual. Getting used to the idea of going against the grain and having all of the responsibility on your shoulders is rough. That's why, more than anyone probably, homeschoolers need to be praying for God's leading. God sure wants us to keep depending on him.

Sadly, I also worried A LOT about what other people were thinking about my family.

This was a factor for me too. A few people were really hurtful, and put the kids and I down in ways that undercut my already shaky self-confidence. My son was in serious academic trouble by the time we gave up on the public schools, and he was very, very sick.

The first few home-school co-op meetings I went to were less than encouraging, so I felt really isolated. There was only one encouraging home school mom, and she was my lifeline.

Looking back, I realize that once the decision to home school is made, the best thing to do is get positive and stay positive. Don't let anyone get you down.