Menu

Gift ideas for a boy turning 10?

My oldest will be 10 this month. Extended family sends money and I buy gifts. He's getting a Flip video camera with about half of it, and he's also asked for a model car to build. This leaves me with abut $30-$40 to spend.

He likes building & creating things. The last 2 times we visited my parents, my Dad introduced him to wood turning, and ds wanted to take classes out here but they're over $100 a class. For Christmas he got a toolbox with real tools and he enjoys it. More Legos or Knex are always a possibility.

Any ideas?

Maybe some wood and nails or screws he can build things out of. My son's best friend liked to build and one year his mom got him the material to build a tree-fort for Christmas. His friends got him things like camo paint and other accessories for the fort for his birthday in Feb.

My son, who also enjoys building and creating, has gotten a lot of inspiration from The Dangerous Book for Boys by Hal Iggulden. Lots of creative projects in it......everything from building a go cart to constructing a tree house. And although my son hasn't tackled either of those two projects yet, he did make a bow and arrow from instuctions found in this book.

My son turned 10 in May. This is what he still enjoys playing with:

Skyrail Marble Roller Coaster (250 pieces) He loves doing different designs in his room - lots of different combinations to try!

Snap Circuits Kit

Pocket Knife (always a winner for boys!)

My boys (ages 7-13) enjoy the "Rush Hour" hand-held (NON-electronic!) game, and others like it:

http://www.amazon.com/Think-Fun-5000-ThinkFun-Rush/dp/B00000DMER/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1246984099&sr=8-1

Rainbow Resource sells about a dozen different types, like River Crossing, Tipover, etc.

Thinkfun is the company that makes them, and they are widely available.

They each come with a stack of cards. Each card has a different layout that you set up and then try to solve (by getting the car out of the traffic jam, etc.)

Our kids don't play a lot of computer games, but these games keep them very entertained in the car, and at meetings, etc. where they need to stay quiet.