Menu

Read Alouds and Readers

Mom-ninja.

Where do you get your ideas for Read Alouds and Readers?

I, of course, get ideas here. Actually, I had a bunch of threads saved, and I accidently deleted them. :glare:

I also look at the SL site.

I tried AO, but we didn't care for many of the books in Year 1. Maybe I should look again.

TWTM naturally. ;)

Where do you look?

Here are some good beginning readers:

http://www.tanglewoodeducation.com/bksrd.htm

And here is a list of literature to supplement history:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/history.htm

Here is a list of living books to supplement science:

http://www.redshift.com/~bonajo/sciencebooks.htm

I also love the book Books Children Love by Elizabeth Wilson. It's a book of lists for us Charlotte Mason fans :)

Edited by sagira

The well trained mind has some good ideas

Honey for a child's heart

Books for boys

both are books with lists of books and age recommendations they have summaries in them too.

plus my favorite is my MIL. she brings books to us from her shelves at home...many of them were from when she was a girl (in the 40's and 50's) she actually brought us a signed copy of the "the door in the wall once". She also brings us the books dh loved as a child. (she is a book horder)lol

i echo everything that's been said here. did someone mention BOOKS CHILDREN LOVE? i have that one on my shelf as well.

i just pull from everywhere . . . since we don't buy one big package of readers or readalouds, i scour the websites( and catalogs) for what Tanglewood, SCM, VP, WP, and a few others recommend for our grade level.

i have a GIGANTIC list for 1st grade and prek/K of things i'd LIKE for my children to experience, and then i cross reference them for their presence at the library . . . and then we just go down the list. or i buy what's not available at the library. did the same last year for DS's K yr. it worked and I read a TON of books to him. :)

the thing i struggle with, in all honesty, is knowing how many read alouds and readers to plot into my plans, and how much connectivity they should have with our subjects matters in history and science. i try to overlap as much as possible, but sometimes it's nice to NOT have them . . . .

anybody else struggle with the planning part as much as I do?

Edited by greenmamato3

anybody else struggle with the planning part as much as I do?

I do. A lot of books can cross over subjects. Then I ask myself if the book should be read now as a Reader (for building reading skill and just plain fun) or if I should wait to incorporate the book into the history cycle. Makes my head spin. I'm trying to relax about it. ;)