Menu

Just. Can't. Do. It. (Ordering Books)

Wee Pip

For some reason, I have invisible restraints holding me back from hitting the Order button. I just can't bring myself to do it! We school year-round & my 6.5 yo just finished all of her 1st gr books. She's completely done with 1st gr & ready to move on. However, because she's still quite young, I know the topics are going to get harder. I know that the lessons will no longer be easy and independent - she's going to need me to actually teach these things. And, she's developed a sudden "I can't" streak, and a resistance to hard work:001_huh: I just feel such a sense of dread at starting 2nd gr with her. We have a new baby (preemie) & life has been hectic - we can't seem to get breastfeeding going & I'm pumping all of her breastmilk, ugh. So adding one more mommy dependent activity to our day sounds about as lovely as plucking all my grey hairs, one by one. Normal people would take a summer vacation, but dh wants us to keep going. I'm sure I'll be glad we kept going at the end of the road, but as of this moment, I don't wanna (insert crying tantrum here). I'll get over it. But I think someone else should hit the Order button for me, since I have an extreme case of Order-Button-itis. I'm not really asking anything, but if you have some wonderful cure-all, be sure to let me know!:bigear:

not thinking about it as all or nothing......order the books, but only do half as much as usual in 2/3 of the days.

You won't be as far as you would have been full time, but you'll be farther than you are now;).

We school year-round for many reasons. But one of the big ones is that long breaks make it painfully hard to get started again (especially for me:)). We only do about a 1/4 of our subjects in about half the time in the summer.

(But, if memory serves, you are interested in accelerating...? So, the point is not what fraction of the work you end up doing, but thinking about it fractionally...)

You dh wants you to keep going even though your hands are very full with the new baby and you seem to want/need a break? Can't you simply explain to dh what you've said here and ask permission for a summer break? Really, we're talking three months here in the whole grand picture - that's not much.

Don't order it all at once. Or start slowly. What subject does she enjoy? Or try something completely different like FIAR. Even thought she is working at a higher level I think she will really enjoy the books in FIAR. I have kids who were advanced for their age and they love it when we take a mental break from the hard stuff and play a bit in the easier stuff. They come back to the hard stuff invigorated and I do too.

Also give yourself a break. You just had a baby and preemie at that!!!!!! Give yourself time. I can guarantee that later on you will be grateful for taking that time with your baby.

HTHs,

:grouphug: Hugs to you, you must be exhausted trying to do it all with a new baby. I know you didn't ask for suggestions, but may I make suggestions anyway? (Assuming you said yes), please be gentle with yourself. Take a little break now so YOU don't break later! You could still do some school, but consider a few different items in your order - gentle school products like Queen's Language Lessons that your resistant daughter might really enjoy; or review things like BJU Vacation Stations that would give them a little of everything every day, without intense mommy-dependent schooling. Snuggle up and read and listen to books on tape together - that is school! Spend time outside and have them write a few sentences in journals, or write a letter to a friend - that can be school. Perhaps some consistant scholarly but not intense activity would satisfy DH and give you a little rest right now. Just thinking. In any case, congratulations and you will hit your groove again.

Blessings,

Aimee

mom to 6 great kids ages 6-18, schooling grades 1, 3, 3 and 6

A month or 2 break would be good for you all. You and your 2 DSs are dealing with adding a baby - a preemie - to the daily mix. DS6 is dealing with no longer being the "baby." You must be exhausted - I remember how pumping was, it was not the relaxing snooze that BFing was.

I'm sure everyone here would say that DS6 will easily catch up when you are all refreshed.

Very best wishes!

Ah, I'm not the only one. I have an excuse. I'm leaving on a two-week vacation next week and want to be home to receive the goods. I suspect the real reason is that I love seeing the whole collection of books on my wish list (RR) and I fear hitting the order button then forgetting something important.

Poor momma :( Your DH is mistaken. Breaks are important.

Do you think your DD would enjoy the TOPS job boxes? She could do them mostly on her own. And, I second the idea of doing Five in a Row for awhile. Does she like science or nature videos? Board games? Card games? You could look into the book Games for Math. Also, check out Fat Brain Toys.

Good luck :grouphug: