Menu

need ideas for notebook on presidents

creekmom

I would like for my students to create a notebook on all the presidents this year. I'm thinking we will learn about one or two each week. I have lots of info on the presidents, but I'm looking for a creative way to show what we learn (notebook, lapbook?) I've seen some neat ebooks on currclick, but I'd love to hear your ideas!

This isn’t a note booking idea but I make groovy flash cards full of graphics and info for lots of different things. If you or dc’s are fairly computer savvy it’s easy to do. I happen to use Adobe CS3, and I realize not everybody has this, but it can also easily be done in Word. Just find a template for Avery note cards and design away using tables and boxes. Don’t forget to put all sorts of good stuff on the back. We make up games like Trivial Pursuit, Go Fish, etc. I’m currently working on a set for every country in the world. (see attachment)

P.S. I forgot to add that these can be displayed in see through card holders for notebooks.

post-5262-13535082930311_thumb.jpg

post-5262-13535082930311_thumb.jpg

Edited by BillieBoy

We will also be studying the Presidents this fall. Here is a great lapbook that we plan on doing:

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/presidents_lapbook.php.

I made my own information sheet for my daughter to fill out. Items on this form include: President's name, Place of Birth, Date of Birth and Death, Dates of Presidency, How Many Terms Served, Party Affiliation, Vice President, States Added During Presidency, Historical Events During Presidency, Major Accomplishments During Presidency, One Fun Fact. These sheets will go in a 3-ring binder.

She will also mark the number of electoral votes for each state on a blank map of the US.

The books we will be using:

The Look-It-Up Book of Presidents

Don't Know Much About The Presidents (fun facts and a time-line)

Our Country's Presidents, by Bausum

I am excited about our study of the US Presidents and there is so much history that can be tied in to this study.

Amy

What about making sort of a news page for each president? Have the kids write news articles that you can then print out and clip and glue onto a sort of presidential scrapbook. They could have a picture of the president, an campaign/election article, a 'presidential highlights' article, a 'life' article, and maybe even an obituary. Might be too in-depth, and for some (BHH comes to mind) there wouldn't be much in the way of information, but it's a thought.

We used 8 X 12 cardstock in different colors. I got from a teachers store pictures of all the presidents (kinda like really large trading cards).

We got flapbooks from http://www.homeschoolformshare.com where we listed date born/died, family, etc.

I got from http://www.currclick.com notebooking pages that have a famous quote from each president (child copies below). And I also got pictures of the individual presidents to color.

Arrange everything on cardstock and attach together.

This took us the entire year with some side trips on Presidents my son is particularly fond of including Teddy Roosevelt (we made him his own lapbook) and a side study on the government and role of the president.

We even wrote to the president (George W. Bush) and received a very nice letter back.

Somewhere, sometime, I got the idea to make your own Fandex set (similar to these). Cut 8.5 x 11 cardstock in half lengthwise, attach a photo at the top, and fill in the card with whatever you want to: facts, trivia, quotes, a timeline.

We have a few Fandex sets and frankly my kids rarely look at them. But if they made their own I think it would be a lot more meaningful.

We'll do a page per president. It will be an easy intro to it and we can print it out at the end of the year. Each page will include a picture of the president, basic facts (years served, vice president, party, etc.), and major events that occurred during their presidency.