Menu

What is a good book on phonemic awareness?

Dd possibly has dyslexia, and I really can't afford to buy a dyslexia program right now. Is there a book that would help me to create my own program for her, including phonemic awareness and learning to read?

I don't know of any books that would teach you to make your own program, but I do know of a set of books that can teach phonemic awareness and reading. I don't know what your budget is, but you can at least look. (Each book is about $30 and they last as long as it takes for your child to understand. My son took 6 months to get through his first book.)

http://www.soundfoundationsbooks.co.uk/

The website is above. You can look at the books by clicking on the icon and then it lets you see a pdf of the entire book. It says it works well for dyslexic kids. I don't know for sure if my youngest is dyslexic but he did learn to read from this series.

I hope this helps.

http://www.epsbooks.com has a book for phonemic awareness called Literacy Leaders. It costs about $32.00 and can be used alongside any phonics program.

After my dyslexic dd7 bombed with Phonics Pathways and All About Spelling because they move too fast, but could not pass the student screening test for Barton Reading, I got a copy of Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons. It was hard at the beginning and we had to do some lessons more than once, but she is on Lesson 93 now and has made great progress. This book is adapted from the Distar program rather than Orton-Gillingham. It's worked well for my dd because it moves slowly, introducing one sound at a time; it works on phonemic awareness, fluency, and comprehension; it gives visual cues which were very helpful for my dd, but weans them off the visual cues toward the end of the book; and the way it teaches blending worked for my dd when nothing else did. 100EZL doesn't work for a lot of dyslexic kids, but for $16.95 on Amazon, it might be worth a try.

How old is your dd? Can she read at all?

http://www.teacherweb.com/CA/PomeloDriveElementary/Mrssakamoto/printap2.stm is a great place to start with 52 books you can print out for free. http://www.3rsplus.com is the website that sells the entire program. It is HIGHLY effective for dyslexia and other reading struggles and is very easy to use---just read the stories, no drills, no worksheets, no prep, etc.

This program would take you from K-3rd grade reading level.

Dd possibly has dyslexia, and I really can't afford to buy a dyslexia program right now. Is there a book that would help me to create my own program for her, including phonemic awareness and learning to read?

Please tell us more. How old is your dd? On what level is she reading? How much are you willing to work with her?

Many programs are expensive. You are right. Thousands of dollars.

But, people have had great success teaching their own kids. Can you afford $100? There are more options than you realize - even free ones.

Ottakee! Thanks for that link! I was going to ask about it today! ;)

Lisa

M J Adams, Phonemic Awareness for Young Children. It is subtitled A Classroom Curriculum -- but it is fine for one child.

This was recommended in my Core Knowledge curriculum & I found it very helpful. There are lots of short lessons -- an early one is recording sounds in your house and seeing if dc can identify them. Then it gets into more language based exercises. The author tells you how to use the book in K, 1 2, etc, and there is an excellent assessment section at the back. I highly recommend this book. it's under $20 at amazon & you can preview the contents.

We also got some phonemic awareness cds from Carson Dellosa with different sounds -- farm animals, etc -- for dc to identify. Probably not worth the $$ ($20 per cd), but nice if you could borrow them.

Edited by Alessandra